1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Baby CHick making odd abnormal noise

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FeatherFluffer, Jul 22, 2012.

1. FeatherFluffer

FeatherFluffer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    My GLP chick is making a weird noise sounds kind of like a crackle coming fom her chest/mouth. She appears healthy and acts normal. Any Ideas what it is if it is something

2. FeatherFluffer

Jun 29, 2012
    Also I forgot to add that she is breathing heavily

3. FeatherFluffer

Jun 29, 2012
    And In addition when she fliks heard head the same noise happens it is just much louder when she flicks

4. Kim95037

Kim95037 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Morgan Hill California
    Hey did you ever figure out what the crackling was? I have a week old baby chick thats doing the same thing. I gave her some antibiotics, not sure what else to do. She is eating and drinking normally.

5. rangerdog

rangerdog Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2014
    My chicks are also making weird noises like carbonized soda bubbles but they are acting normal I can't find anything about it on the internet though

6. CodyP

CodyP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    I'm going to gravedig this thread because I'm having the exact same problem with a 1 1/2 week old chick that is also having problems with a leg and will not eat or drink..

7. sleepingchick

sleepingchick New Egg

May 12, 2016
    I have a chick (I think 6 weeks old) I found two days ago in the coop doing the splits. I have her alone in the brooder now in a sling. I can't figure out if she is injured or has some paralysis. She has been eating and pooping fine until last night. Last night I noticed a faint sound coming from her abdomen or vent area. It sounds like Styrofoam melting or like small soda bubbles. Now she will eat a little but not drink. Any thoughts on how I can help her?

8. CodyP

CodyP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    if she's doing the splits she might have spraddle leg.. what type of floor do you have in your brooder? if you have something like newspaper or plain cardboard it would be too slippery for them to have a grip resulting in what looks like them doing the splits.. there are a lot of posts on here just search "spraddle leg" or "splayed leg"

here is a good link

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html

9. sleepingchick

sleepingchick New Egg

May 12, 2016

I have pine shavingin brooder and coop. She does the spits front and back not side to side. She also wont bend her legs. She will twitch them when she wants to move but can't curl them in. Also her feet wont curl around my finger. Plus they feel cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by