1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Baby chick maybe broken leg /knee? update!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pardee_Boy, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Pardee_Boy

Pardee_Boy Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    I have a batch of Partridge Cochins. One is favoring its one leg. The injury must of happened sometime today while I was at work. I checked in on them this morning before work all were in good shape. Now one is gimping and or laying down instead of moving about the brooder. I think maybe my daughter picked it up today and could of dropped him from a height of about 3 feet. I'm not sure if this is the case but its my best guess as to what couldv'e taken place.

Anyways is there anything I can do for him to help his little leg out. They are only about 2-3 weeks old. I think he may have been a little runty he was the only one out of the bunch who had pasty butt and his feathers are slightly lighter than the rest of them.He's also not growing as fast as the others. I'd hate to put this little guy down over this. But if that's what's best I'll have to.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. Pardee_Boy

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    bump due to lack of a reply. I isolated him in his own brooder, He's still not putting pressure on his leg and I did notice today his knee joint is swollen and turning purple. He is holding it way up close to his body while he tries to walk on his good leg. Still don't know what to do for it.

3. ponygirl454

ponygirl454 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    under your bed.
    I don't know either..... maybe tr googling it? or soaking his leg in warm water?

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Poor thing. Maybe it's just a bad sprain. I wonder if a little ice wrapped in towel paper for 15 minutes here and there might help. Like an athletic injury. I don't know what else to say. He probably got it stuck somewhere and just twisted it real good. I remember I had a hen whose wing had turned completely green (gangrene?). I had noticed it looked swollen and she held it away from her body. I think I gave her a tiny bit of crushed aspirin in a dropper of water (maybe a bit of antibiotic and calcium too). I didn't repeat it much but her wing recovered rapidly. Seriously, I think she must have had a blood clot and the aspirin did the trick. I don't know how you get rid of green and get healthy looking skin but I just got lucky.

5. Pardee_Boy

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    anyone else. I tried to see if his tendon in the hock area was displaced . I pressed and moved the joint for a little bit lastnight and he's still not using his leg. I did notice his foot is slightly angled up and outwards and its shaking . his leg just doesn't look right at all. I'm at a loss I've done all of the research I can do for it. I'll take any advice right now.

6. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
  7. Pardee_Boy

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    I used a straw to splint it with some gauze to help pad it, some medical tape to wrap it up. He's ticked off over it he keeps pecking at the splint. I kept it bent in a natural position the best I could. Trying to hold and wrap a squirming chick is not easy done solo. He seems to stand alittle better not sure if he can lay down the way he wants to. fingers crossed..

8. Pardee_Boy

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    Well after too much time and effort in this guys leg I'm sad to say I finally made the decision to cull the little guy today.

It was my first time having to put anything down in my life. I'm not real happy with my call on this but his leg was twisting way outward and shaking non stop all day. I figured it was the best to stop the suffering. I just wish I did it sooner than waiting and getting attached to him.

one sad man [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  9. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I am so sorry it turned out this way, but you did the right thing so the chick wouldn't suffer anymore. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by