HELP! Baby chick scalped *graphic*...update: she didn't make it :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 77horses, Jul 28, 2011.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    HELP!!! I've been gone all day and I have a baby chick that hatched yesterday and I cam ehome to find it peeping in the middle of the lawn...the entire skin on its head is missing and it's eyes are swollen and it's still peeping and alive but I have no idea what to do!!! [​IMG] I brought it inside and put it wrapped in a paper towel in a brooder box alone but I don't know what happened and I need help ASAP! Please help!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put a tiny bit of neosporin antibacterial cream on the raw spots on its head, which is pretty much its entire head. [​IMG]

PLEASE HELP!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

*From post #56:
    Quote:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Get some neosporin, without pain reliever in it, and cover the head area. Keep the baby warm, use chick starter and offer water...beyond that, I don't know [​IMG]

3. pitbullnh

pitbullnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Meredith
    is it walking, eating and drinking?...a bit of sugar water..of course we can't see the face...

Wishing you healing thoughts....

Dawn

4. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    My chimera chicken was scalped just like that only she was a little older. I almost euthanized her, it was so bad (this was before I knew she was a chimera). I would give this chick a chance. Isolation is the best thing along with heat, food and water.

5. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Oh my goodness. I would be inclined to put it out of it's misery, but that's just me. Poor little baby!

6. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

IDK; I'd get some neosporin, like a previous poster said; there isn't much you can do. Pray. Make sure it has feed and water. So sorry, 77!

7. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Nothing else is injured on it except the head, which is completely raw down to the bone...literally. it's not only the feathers missing, it's the entire top layer of skin. [​IMG] still peeping and breathing, can't see though because it's eyes are swollen shut. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  8. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:I honestly cannot do that unless it's the very last option. and even then I just could not do it. [​IMG]

Thanks everyone

9. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Quote:I honestly cannot do that unless it's the very last option. and even then I just could not do it. [​IMG]

Thanks everyone

In this case, it just may be the kindest option, but you can give it a chance to live!

10. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:I put neosporin cream on its head, and it's in a box with a light for warmth. peeping and moving but can't see anything and is shaking. Poor baby! I can't stop crying. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by