Help!!! Baby chick sick?? :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sgall, Mar 5, 2013.

1. sgall

sgall Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011
    I have a 5 week old rir pullet that will not stand. A few days ago I noticed it hobbling and walking funny like it had something stuck to its foot but now it's not extending its feet at all. It's so sad! I brought it in and it's eating and drinking vitamin/sugar water and resting/sleeping alot. It's sleeping a whole lot and if you touch it it peeps a lot and if you extend it's legs it can't stand on them. Should I just splint the legs or is this a sickness? All the others seem fine.

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
  3. sgall

sgall Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011
    I don't know where it could have contacted this though. It hasn't been around any chickens besides the other chicks who are all fine...

4. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Check her for anything stuck or on her feet. If she got something like a shard of glass in her foot pads or has bumblefoot it could be the reason she's not walking. If you do not see anything she could be developing a paralysis in her legs because of a viral disease called Marek's.

5. sgall

sgall Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011
    [​IMG]
    She stands but she just doesn't have balance. She ok stands when I mess with her... Her legs seem to be pointing outwards at her hocks instead of straight up and own.

6. sgall

sgall Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011
    Do you suggest culling her? If not what should I do?

7. sgall

sgall Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011
    Chick update... She is acting like she is normal just having trouble walking.... Using the bathroom a whole lot. I have her in a basket and today when I got home she was perched on the side of the basket. I splinted her legs as the seem to be pointing outwards and I just hope it's not to late to make them straight if it is splayed legs. She is peeping a whole bunch and awake just has trouble with her feet. Now that I've splinted her she isn't trying to walk really she just uses her wings for balance and help her get places. I think she was just weak last night from not eating or drinking since she couldn't get to the feed....maybe I missed her splayed legs when she was first born????? I'm not sure and I'm not even positive I have splinted her correctly but it was worth a shot. Any advice???? Thanks!!!!! :)

8. sgall

sgall Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011
    Ad I wanted to add her poo is solid not runny or any other....

9. sgall

sgall Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011
    [​IMG]

10. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by