Help! Baby chick was attacked!

HennyPenny10

Hatching
Apr 24, 2017
My broody hen managed to hatch a single egg about 4 days ago. She had the baby out in the chicken yard with her today. I was nervous because this chick is so tiny, however she's brought her babies out before with no incident so I wasn't too worried... What a mistake. Came home from work to see mama hen trying to get to her baby chick who was trapped in the hole of an upsided cinder block.

The chick was peeping loudly when I pulled her out but ice cold. One eye looks like it was pecked out and was covered in dry blood. The other eye looks like it's ok still but I have not yet seen her open it. She can stand and take a step but then falls forward. When she is awake she is peeping loudly and her breathing seems regular.

As soon as I found her I warmed her up under my brooder heat lamp (luckily I had it on and heated for some other babies) for a while and gave her electrolyte water with a dropper. I don't know if there is anything else I can do for her. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly. I would really like to keep this little girl alive.

Sorry you're having to face this. The inability to stay upright along with trauma to the skull (evidenced by the damaged eye) suggests neurological damage to the brain and/or spinal cord. I'd recommend culling it, as this is probably the most merciful thing to do.

I certainly can sympathize as I just has two chicks hatch this week also. Chicks can recover from some pretty awful looking injuries, and you will just need to see if this chick is able.

@song of joy is correct in pointing out the possibility of brain injury. You should know within 24 hours if it's going to survive. If it can stand and walk normally by tomorrow, you will know it's got a good chance of making it.

Meanwhile, I recommend flushing the eyes with a saline solution - artificial tears if you have those in your medicine cabinet, then put some triple antibiotic ointment on the injured eyes. You did well to warm the chick and give it electrolytes. The rest will be up to the chick.

Thank you all. Unfortunately she didn't make it through the night :(
Oh, how very sad . . .
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom