1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Baby chick with new head injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laurenhollidge, Mar 29, 2016.

1. laurenhollidge

laurenhollidge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    We got 5 little chicks 2 weeks ago and today one of the smallest ones (she hadn't been growing like the others) was hiding in the corner and when I went to get her out she started to chirp loudly and run almost sideways. Her neck is now turned so that she looking to the right and down a'little bit. I researched some and someone mentioned Wry Neck but wouldn't that have been an issue earlier on? We separated her from the others and we're going to feed her 3 times a day vitamin E in her food and a vitamin supliment in her water. If you have any idea what this could be please help!! We don't want the little chick to die.

2. laurenhollidge

laurenhollidge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    Sadly she passed...is it possible for chicks to have strokes? It seamed like half of her body was paralyzed. I would really like to know what happened and if we did anything wrong.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss [​IMG]
    Unfortunately it is hard to pinpoint the exact cause of loss sometimes.
    Some chicks just fail to thrive. It could have been so many things, from neurological/developmental disorders, vitamin/nutrition or some type of unknown illness.
    Unless your other chicks start showing signs/symptoms similar, then there's really no way to start putting the pieces together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by