HELP!! Baby chick with something hanging from it's vent!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by misserin2001, Mar 28, 2012.

1. misserin2001

misserin2001 New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    This is the first time that I've had a chick hatch that had any noticeable problems. It has something hanging from its vent--larger than a pea. It looks like a sac with blood vessels. At first I thought it may have been some unabsorbed yolk, but that should be hanging from the tummy area right? The chick is about 24 hours old and actually seems to be doing ok. I'll try to post a picture soon.

2. misserin2001

misserin2001 New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    I lied. Upon closer inspection it is hanging from his belly. It is just really sticking out the back. I'll still post pics for learning experience!

3. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    You're right, it's the yolk sac. I had one hatch like this last spring. Since it's been so long since she hatched and the sac is still hanging you might want to tie it off and then sever it. Your chick will need some extra vitamins though because normally it would get vitamins from it's yolk sac for the first few days of life. Get some poly-vi-sol without iron and give her a drop by beak (or in a mash) once a day. (More if she seems droopy, but don't over do it!) Oh, and make sure you keep her away from other chicks for awhile so they don't pick at her.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

4. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    And also...[​IMG]

5. misserin2001

misserin2001 New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    Thanks! I really hope this baby makes it. I think the whole batch was a bad incubation. I haven't seen any signs of the others pipping even. I had gone out of town and my mom was watching them...I know the temperature and humidity has fluctuated a lot [​IMG] Here is the picture I promised. It is at least good for a learning experience. [​IMG]

6. misserin2001

misserin2001 New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    [​IMG]

7. Beth K.

Beth K. Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    The Funny Farm
    Aww, poor baby. Best wishes for a happy, healthy chicken! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by