1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Baby Chick With Swollen Eye!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwinsLoveChicks, Oct 19, 2016.

1. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    I have a 4 1/4 week old Speckled Sussex chick with a swollen eye. It looks like the eyelid has swollen up and stretched out, drifting downward and partly covering the eyeball. I'll post pictures as soon as I get the chance. Please answer soon! Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
    -TwinsLoveChicks

2. Gwynevere

Gwynevere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    Does it look like she got pecked or poked somehow? If that's what caused it then you shouldn't worry so much, things will calm down in a couple of days. If she is presenting any other symptoms though then you might have a problem. Its hard to say anything without a picture.

3. TwinsLoveChicks

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    I'm not sure if she got pecked or not. Here's a picture.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  4. TwinsLoveChicks

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    It stared to go down and get better a couple of days ago, but recently it seems like it's gotten worse.

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Are there any other symptoms, like nasal discharge?

6. TwinsLoveChicks

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    No nasal discharge or anything unusual. In fact, I was going to put her back with her friends after a small bout of sickness (which was mostly just some lethargy that caused her to stay under a heat lamp for a while) when her eye started sagging. I've kept her away from her friends and under the heat lamp at night because of it, but she still gets plenty of exercise and fresh air during the day. So other than her eye she's acting totally normal. I've got no idea what's going on.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  7. purplechicken7

purplechicken7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2016
    North Carolina
    My Coop

Are you sure there's an eye there? It honestly looks like the eye has been pulled from the socket.

8. TwinsLoveChicks

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop

There's definitely an eye, although it's almost completely covered by the eyelid being dragged down.

9. TwinsLoveChicks

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    If I were to get some antibiotic eye drops or something would it help? Here's another picture from the front. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  10. TwinsLoveChicks

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    It's gotten worse and she won't open her eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by