Help baby chick won’t stop crying

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by diana3b4, Jul 17, 2019.

1. diana3b4

diana3b4 In the Brooder

Jul 12, 2016
    California
    So I rescued a day old chick that was almost dead from my sister in law. I have nursed it back to health and now is almost 2 weeks old. It now has started peeping very loud when we leave the room. I put a stuffed animal in with it so it’s not alone. What else can I do? It does have food water bedding and proper heat

Attached Files:

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    It needs other chicks. Can you adopt one or two of it's hatch mates?
    Define proper heat.

3. Evelyn Walker

Evelyn Walker Songster

Apr 3, 2019
    South Florida
    He's lonely. Raising a single chick of any poultry is not a good idea, they are flock animals. I suggest getting him another chick for company.

4. diana3b4

diana3b4 In the Brooder

Jul 12, 2016
    California
    Unfortunately I can’t adopt due to California being under quarantine. And the other chicks from my sister in law didn’t make it

5. diana3b4

diana3b4 In the Brooder

Jul 12, 2016
    California
    Unfortunately I can’t due to California being under quarantine and my sister in laws other chicks didn’t make it.

6. diana3b4

diana3b4 In the Brooder

Jul 12, 2016
    California
    I have a heat lamp above the brooder in one corner. I have raised 10 other chicks but never just 1

7. Evelyn Walker

Evelyn Walker Songster

Apr 3, 2019
    South Florida
    Hmm, then the best thing to do would be to spend a lot of time with it. You could try putting a mirror in it's brooder so it feels it has company. If it's bonded to you, it's going to cheep when you leave, but it's worth a try.

8. Peepsi

Peepsi Songster

Apr 1, 2017
    Utah
    Trying putting a mirror in with your chick. That way, he'll have a friend, until he realizes it's just him. ;)

Seriously though...they like mirrors. If he was older, I'd suggest some TV. Some chickens do enjoy TV when they can get it.

EDIT: Aaaaaannnd, someone beat me to it as I was posting.

9. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    You could try adding a mirror in there.... it might trick the little runt in thinking it has a playmate.

You guys beat me to the punch. But then I was thinking, it will only work when they are still young because as they get older they will try to challenge it to get their place in the pecking order which won't be too good on the chicken and cause stress?

10. ChemicalchiCkns

ChemicalchiCkns Songster

Oct 27, 2012
    Play some youtube musique for him:

bantamsrmyfav likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: