help baby chick wont stand up for long

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rhode island redsy, May 27, 2010.

1. rhode island redsy

rhode island redsy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    she is always laying down if she does get up she takes 2 steps then lays right back down. drinks when i hold her

2. meepitqueenie

meepitqueenie Gallo's Poultry Haven

May 26, 2010
    in the adirondacks
    I have a polish chick that does that. its always laying down. but will go to the feeder and waterer to drink.
    then go to the light and lay underneath the heat lamp.
    its now 3 weeks old.
    it could be a number of problems, people on another forum told me that there chicken did that and grew out of it.
    other people told me to put electrolytes in the water.

I looked it up and it could be Rickets. a vitamin D deficiency. so the electrolytes contain vit d so that would be good for that problem

other people told me to medicate with antibiotics.

the first week i fed chick feed that was non medicated. I didn't read the bag. so second week i got medicated. so thats what i am feeding now. and added the electrolytes to the water.

my chick is doing ok right now. just waiting and seeing.

I hope other people can help you out more than I, but the electrolytes in the water was definitely a good choice for me.

heres my chick last week

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:How old is it?

4. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Actually I had a couple polish that were like that. They just sprawled out all the time. So much so it became an obsession to check to make sure they were still alive. It doesn't last. Tonight they are playing chase and keeping everyone awake they are so noisy. Maybe some vitamines or boiled egg might perk it up a bit faster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by