Help baby chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lerose78, May 11, 2009.

1. lerose78

lerose78 New Egg

May 11, 2009
    I went to check on the mama chicken and saw that she had hay in the the water so I took some of hay out of the cage only to find a baby chick that I thought was dead. but when I picked it up it moved just a little. I have gave it water that has food in it and put on a heating pad. it is peeping alot but it is still not strong enough to go out with the rest yet but I do not know how often to feed it (since I have to put its beak in the water and it drinks it but is to week to do it its self.) can anyone help me with how often to feed it. Thank you

2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    I would just go ahead and put feed in a feeder and let it eat all it wants. All of mine have free access to their feeders and waterers. Try putting a heat lamp in there with it also.

3. lerose78

lerose78 New Egg

May 11, 2009
    I would but it is not eating or drinking on its own yet.

4. lerose78

lerose78 New Egg

May 11, 2009
    it can barely stand on its own

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Wait, the chick was in the water? Dry it and keep it very warm (unless it starts panting). Rub his throat gently to get any water out of his lungs, and don't offer any more for a while (he got plenty! lol). Restrain him with a towel; they like confinement at that age and it will keep him comforted and warm.

6. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    If you have some honey that is one of the best pick-me-ups you can give. Just get a little on the tip of your finger and swipe the drop under the tip of your chick's beak. Then just let her swallow it. Then give her a bit more. I find one drop on the end of my finger is enough for the first few times of feeding. When your chick gets stronger you can give her two drops worth each time. I would give her the honey every 20 minutes for the first hour and then every half hour for the second hour. Be sure to dip the chick's beak in water every 15 minutes until you see it start drinking on it's own.

Also, make sure it doesn't get too hot on the heating pad. Heating pads can sometimes run too warm. Do you have a desk lamp that you could shine down on it instead? The lamp will do a better job of keeping the chick all-over warm.

7. lerose78

lerose78 New Egg

May 11, 2009
    no it was not in the water just buried in the hay. I have under a towel on a heating pad and every little bit I put its beak in water and it swallows it but I just wondered if I could bother it to much(trying to feed and water it) or not enough. Thanks

8. lerose78

lerose78 New Egg

May 11, 2009
    Thank you for you advice!!!!

9. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Oh. How old? They don't need food or water for the first 2 days. I never feed or water my day old chicks, I just let them sleep. Was he cold when you found him? The stimulus is good. Keep him warm and talk to him, put your hand on top of him. You get the idea. Chicks are very weak for the first day, cold chicks are weaker.

10. lerose78

lerose78 New Egg

May 11, 2009
    I do not know how old it is, my parents have been away all weekend and I just came to their house to do laundry. they have someone that was suppose to take care of the animals but... anyways yes he was cold but it is getting warmer I wish I knew how old it was. I also want to say this is the friendliest, most helpful, quickest response forum I have seen. Thank you very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by