HElp baby chicken suddenly sick u*update* baby died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by magentamomma, Dec 1, 2009.

  1. magentamomma

    magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

    147
    1
    111
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    This morning when I fed my chickens all of them were as healthy and active as can be. That was at 8 a.m. Now at 3 p.m. one of my babies (3 months) is unable to ealk or stand, it is very difficult to wake, and I honestly think it may die. I recently treated them all for cocci, so I don't think thats it, it has no visible signs of injury. Any ideas?
     
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  2. The Chickens' Maid

    The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

    940
    29
    153
    May 2, 2009
    CT
    [​IMG]
     
  3. magentamomma

    magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

    147
    1
    111
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    Thanks. It was one of our favorites. Her name was Ginger, and I have no idea what hapened. I can only hope it was a fluke and not the beginning of an epidemic.
     
  4. Shiningfeather

    Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

    505
    0
    139
    Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

    Did you check her crop to see if she had been eating? You may also want to check their food to make sure it does not have any mold in it or been wet at any time before you got it. When I bring mine home I pour it into another container to check it before I start using it.
     
  5. magentamomma

    magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

    147
    1
    111
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    our food got slightly wet the other day but I used it long before it molded. I just way over fed them that evening. Would mold occur without a smell and with no visible signs?
     
  6. Shiningfeather

    Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

    505
    0
    139
    Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    How long from the time it was wet till you had used it all?
     
  7. Shiningfeather

    Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

    505
    0
    139
    Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    If it was in a warm area where you kept it it could have molded in just 24 hours. I had some get wet that my birds did not have access to and in less than 24 hours it had a bad smell, to the point that flies were all over it. It was only in the 50 degree range when it happened and I was shocked at how fast it went bad.
     
  8. magentamomma

    magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

    147
    1
    111
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    72 hours, but 40 degree days. No other birds seem affected. I scooped all the visibly wet feed the first evening. There was no bad smell, no sign of dampness, after I scooped off the damp. I saw no sign of mold. Would mold kill so fast?
     
  9. Shiningfeather

    Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

    505
    0
    139
    Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Im not sur of the actual day range that it will kill a bird in but it is very deadly.

    speckledhen just had this happen to a couple of birds in her flock, you may want to PM her and tell everything that happened and see what she has to input. You may also want to put some undistilled ACV in their water about 2 TBS per gallon and feed them some plain yogurt. It will help them with their digestion of their food.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by