Help! Baby Chicken with bloody poop!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peterperfect, Jan 27, 2013.

1. peterperfect

peterperfect New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Our approximately 3 day old chicken. (Iza or Sussex X new Hampshire??) has been very wobbly lately. He was hatched naturally along with his 3 other healthy siblings but this morning i checked on him the second time and he was upside down, obviously fallen over. I took him inside and am feeding him chicken crumble and a rehydration mix (water, salt, sugar) and he is drinking, eating and sleeping, but when he did go to the toilet his stool was a red colour. i did some research and thought it may be cocci but he doesn't have most of the symptoms - he looks healthy besides being wobbly. I am very worried about him! Please help :)

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Baby chicks will poop out some reddish poop off and on. This is intestinal lining and is quite normal. If they have a load of cocci they will obviously be sick.

Here are some excellent pictures of poop, normal and abnormal.

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

3. peterperfect

peterperfect New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Thanks for your'e help, but he seemed sick and unfortunately died the next morning. We think it was cocci, but none of the others seemed infected.

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I hate losing a chick or an adult. I'm very sorry. Unfortunately some chicks build a resistance and some do not. Are you using medicated feed or not? If not, I'd run Corid powder in the water at 1 teaspoon per gallon for 5 days only. Then follow up with a good vitamin-probiotic in the water for 2-3 days after. I'd do the Corid every three weeks until they are on range for a month or two. I've found that what 9 of the cocci strains Corid won't eliminate, Sulfadimethoxine will.

I'm glad flockwatcher posted the chicken turd link. I saw it before and now I can bookmark that site for future reference. Thanks flockwatcher. That is professional dropping identification.

5. peterperfect

peterperfect New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    We only have a generally small flock. A few of our rescued Iza's dies from old age, our sussex rooster got put down as he was very sick and a little chick a few months ago disappeared, but that is it for the deaths. We have about 20 chickens and roosters all up, so when we get more we will put them on medicated food at times and make sure they are having medications and vitamins and the rest of it. The only diseases that get our flock are very sudden and we are quite secluded so we can't get most of the vitamins we need quickly. A four hour round trip at least, plus we aren't confident if they are sick or diseased as some pull through easily, but others unfortuantely don't make it. Thanks for all your help though, as we can only learn from experience and try to not let it happen again :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by