HELP! Baby chicks are dying! Lost 25 in 2 days

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by petitesphinx, Apr 18, 2009.

1. petitesphinx

petitesphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Our chicks were healthy, happy, chirping and eating. They were getting crowded so we put half in the brooder and half in another brooder. We moved the first brooder out on the porch-still with heat lamp and a blanket over the small window to keep heat in. That night it was around 50 degrees.

We also went from cracked corn to the medicated chick starter from the local co-op. The next morning, we found 11 dead chicks! That morning, we put a hotter bulb in thinking they got cold-then by night-10 more died!!? [​IMG]

We brought them inside in a card board box thinking there was something in the brooder making them die, but they keep dropping off in the new box inside the house.

No funky poo, no runny noses; they seem perfectly healthy--but then BOOM they'll start lying around and not eating.

I was thinking maybe I got a bad batch of chick starter, so bought another brand at the co-op. We put Teramyacin (sp?) in the water to see if that would help them.

We've lost all 10 of our Frizzles and most of our Top Hats...the regular types are doing fine. I ordered these from Murray Hatchery and almost all from there have died within the month. We lost 11 after the first 48 hours from their delivery and Murray sent new ones but most of those died, too.

Please help. [​IMG] What did I do wrong? [​IMG] What can I do to save the rest? And to top it off, our baby lamb that we were bottle feeding, in a diaper, living inside with us ate some of the chick starter and died today, too. [​IMG] It's a terrible couple of days here at the farm.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Why were you feeding them cracked corn? Did you give them lots of grit? Babies need much more nutrition than corn. They may have had impacted crops if you didn't give them grit. That said, big chains have lately had contaminated or moldy feed.

3. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    I am so sorry for all you have loss...

Your Lamb So sorry [​IMG]

You typed that you had them on cracked corn...With grit?

I have always started mine on starter.

Someone will help you on this site to better help you understand what may have happened. Best wishes

4. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    did you call them, the same thing happened to me, i got mine from the same hatchery.
    But i was thinking mine were getting to hot at night. but i did get another order and so far i did loose 5 the first week. but i still think it might be the heat to hot at night,
    but now that i found your thread i dont know. [​IMG] wow i hope they dont have anything.

5. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:hmmm you know it is just babys dieing, i wonder if it is the feed.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    New chicks need only chick crumbles. Their bodies cannot process cracked corn and it has very little nutrients in it for tiny fast growing bodies.

I would have to suspect they were clogged from crop to gizzard with corn they couldn't digest.

7. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:can that happen with chick starter if they eat it to fast?

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    AWW so sorry to hear of your loss! I agree with the others...I bet they were impacted. It's hard to loss one chick let alone 25!

9. MSHEN

MSHEN Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Monticello,MS
    But the little lamb died after eating the starter too, so it sure looks like the starter is bad. Of course, I don't know a thing about sheep, especially babies!! My logical mind says "problem with the feed" because it wasn't just the chicks that ate it![​IMG]

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    How old was the lamb and how much feed did it eat? With all of my lambs they didn't do more than nibble but never really ate much of anything - just mimicked momma for a week or more.

Did the lamb get a shot of BoSe within 24 hours of being born? Selenium deficiency can kill them quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by