Help!!! Baby chicks keep dying don't know why

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beehappy4ever, May 3, 2011.

1. beehappy4ever

beehappy4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am hopefull someone can help. Yesterday I got 10 baby chicks (couple day old) from the feedstore. They were fine through the night and this morning, around noon when I went to check on them I found one very lethargic and laying in a corner with what appeared to be blood coming from her vent. I called everyone I knew with chickens to ask for help and tried yogurt, sugar water, cleaning her vent but she didn't make it. Two hours later I go to check on the remaining 9 and another one is dead in the corner with the same blood stuff. Now another chick is acting the same way. Their vents are clear, this is my 3rd round of chicks and the first time I have every had one die let alone 2 possibly 3 in one day.

I had the chicks in a box because my wonderful (sometimes) husband had decided he wanted some of his own chicks and had bought some that were 5 weeks old so they were in the brooder/cage we normally use and because of the size difference I didn't want to mix them. I didn't realize he had done that till I was already home with my chicks so I used a cardboard box that his chicks had came in, my concern is his box had some alphalpha (sp? green straw) in the bottom and the baby chicks had been pecking at it. As soon as the first chick died I changed to a new box with an old pillowcase and washed the waterer and feeder really well and changed to medicated chick food. Any ideas would be appreciated....could it be the alphalpha? They have the lamp on them and have been maintaining the temp....Please help!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.
    Your chicks have cocci, a protazoa, and you must treat quickly or it will quickly kill all your chicks. I highly recommend that you purchase liquid Corid (amprolium) 9.6% solution at your feed store, it'll be in the cattle section. Dosage for your chicks is 9.5cc/ml per gallon of water x 7 days OR 4.75cc/ml per 2 quarts of water x 7 days. You must expedite treatment ASAP.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What Dawg said.

4. Little Tweets

Little Tweets Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    I would also like to suggest throwing everything the chicks had contact with away. Cocci is very contagious. Don't allow any healthy chicks near the sick ones.

5. beehappy4ever

beehappy4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Is there anything else that we can give them throughout the night as we haven't found a feed store that supplies what you suggested. Plus all the feed stores are now closed.

Also, the chicks that are dying are next to a brooder with older chicks in it. I have now moved them to seperate parts of our home. Is this enough? Or is there something else we should do?

Thank you for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by