Help, baby chicks pecking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenmom1, Jun 29, 2010.

1. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Hi,
    My first flock(is that right?) of babies. I looked in on them today and there are about 5 babies who are being pecked on their wings to bleeding. They are about 2 1/2 weeks old and I don't know what to do. I think it might be the heat. The temps here have been about 95 all week. I turned the heat lamp off. I got red because they said it caused less picking. Any ideas about how to stop it? I have them separated right now and need some advice.
    Thanks,
    J

2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Try keeping a red light turned on at all times not neccisarily for the heat source but it will mask any red blood on the chicks, (blood to a chicken is like Mc Donalds to a fat kid) Also put grass snippings in there brooder area. You can buy a product called Rooster Booster pick no more lotion in aiding to slow down the pecking. Keep in mind all chicks and chickens must develop a pecking order. Treat any wounds you see asap Using triple ointment or something of that sort. last but not least If you catch them in the act, Firmly point your first finger out and bop the little chick right on his little bitty nose (not to hard) tell him no in a firm voice As if letting him know your the bully and the momma/daddy. IF none of these work for you. You can separate the bullies.
    The advice I have given is strictly based on my experiance So you might wait until more people give you replies to see what has worked for them. Good luck and hope this helps.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Temp should be about 85 at that age. How many total do you have? I'm thinking they may be too crowded or not have equal access to feed? The bleeding ones will need to be separated until they heal, I use wire to divide the brooder so they can still be near each other. Old oven racks work well, too.

4. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Chicks will become aggressive if they are too hot. If they are outside and you can't get down to the proper temps, you need to bring them into the house where it's cooler and then use a heat lamp to bring the temp up to where it should be if necessary.

5. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:I wish I could do that [​IMG] but i can't see 350 chickens in my 3 bed room house. [​IMG]

6. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Quote:I wish I could do that [​IMG] but i can't see 350 chickens in my 3 bed room house. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    A distraction may help too - try hanging/putting a head or two of cabbage out for them; some corn on the cob, etc. They will hopefully redirect their interest.

8. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Thanks everyone,
    that helps a lot. Luckily, we got a break in the heat today. It was 60 last night and I did separate the wounded. Is it okay to give them some regular food now? I did throw a couple of bugs in and they went nuts. I have 37 babies. They are getting a little bigger and I did put them in a bigger pen, but it won't last long.
    J

9. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA

My husband installed a swamp cooler in the window of our chicken house plus we have fans going to circulate the air. I notice that if I don't turn on the air before it starts getting hot out I will find some chicks with feathers missing. When it is cool enough for them I haven't noticed any pecking going on.

10. rchucks

rchucks Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Gardnerville, Nevada
    this is 2 j there r 2 reasons that i know of 1 is the heat and 2 is the natural peaking order 1 will astablish that he\\she is or going 2 be the domanit 1 what 2 do: u could sperate the victum and the peaker sorry but idk aboutthe heat:/[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by