Help!! baby chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dblackdutch, Apr 8, 2017.

1. dblackdutch

dblackdutch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2017
    I just got 4 week old silky chicks. One died yesterday. Today i found one by the water dish wet and gasping for air. I took it out and dried with a blow dryer and kept rubbing him. He perked up a bit and i got him to drink a tad of water i put them on a heating pad. I only have 3 for pets and im trying so hard to keep rhem alive. I dont know what to do!!!! There in a tub on my kitchen table with shavings and food and water filter. Now on a heating pad. Also have a stuffed bear they like to git under. Should i move them to rhe bathroom with a heater?

2. bryantflock

bryantflock New Egg

Apr 8, 2017
    You need a heating lamp ground temp should be around 90 get a red bulb keeps them happier go to any pet or farm supply store and they have them. You need an actual feeder and a proper water feeder so they don't drown.clean poop and every day keep them up plenty of info on internet for what temp it should be

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.
    To clarify - were the birds 4 weeks old or were they four birds that were one week old?

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They are probably too cold. Silkies are not as rugged as some other breeds. The other chick may have been close to drowning in the water dish. Usually people put clean pebbles or marbles in a shallow dish to prevent that. Chicks can fall in because they get sleepy in any position and just pitch forward. If the vet dish aspirated any water it may come down with pneumonia, so keep watch.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think the OP means 4- 1 week old chicks. If so, they really needed heat , pebbles in water dish, etc.

6. dblackdutch

Apr 8, 2017
    Ok. Never heard of rhe pebbles before. Will do. I have moved rhem into small room with heater set at 90. Will look for a lamp!! Im temped to sleep by them im so paranoid!! Its pretty hot in the room plus have heating pad on med. The water dish is the usual kind rhey sell for babies at tractor supply. I will try to post a pic. Im new to this. They dont tell u this stuff when u buy them!! There just like oh they will ne fine[​IMG]
    Thank you all so so much.

7. dblackdutch

Apr 8, 2017
    [​IMG]

8. dblackdutch

Apr 8, 2017
    [​IMG]

9. ninjawesome

ninjawesome Currently being awesome Premium Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Wild, Wild West
    [​IMG]Hi there and [​IMG]! We're happy you could join us[​IMG] [​IMG]

I would suggest that if you haven't already, get a larger bin, this will give them more room to run around and play in to relieve boredom. Also, put a heat lamp in. After that, elevate the water just a bit (for example, on a couple of 2x4s) and put clean pebbles in the water to prevent them from both falling in and drowning. I would also suggest you get a little cardboard box and using it as a little hut for them to cuddle under at night. Make a little door/opening for them and cut the floor out so they can sleep on the nice soft bedding. This will keep them away from drafts and will also be a fun little perch to stand on.

Anyways, there are some suggestions. Make sure none of your chicks have the 'pasty butt' and be sure to clean it out immediately if they do. Chicks are vivacious little creatures and it's pretty easy to tell whether or not they are happy, warm, and entertained. If they seem to be straying away from the heat lamp, move it further away from them. If they are huddled up into a big ball of fluff lots, move the lamp closer. If they've kicked a whole bunch of bedding water, replace it. Also be sure they have something to peck at/do. These simple things will really help out your cute little Silkies into adulthood.

1 person likes this.
  10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under dblackdutch [​IMG] Welcome!

I am sorry to hear of your loss [​IMG]

As you have already received some great advice, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by