Help!!! Baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pinds77, Jul 31, 2010.

1. pinds77

pinds77 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2007
    Two of our hens have been sitting on eggs.......and we went in yesterday to discover that they are finally hatching. As of last night there were only 2.....but today we can see another baby that looks like it just hatched. My concern is that she has not gotten out of her nest to bring the first two to the water and food. If the other eggs she is laying on are still hatching I fear that she won't leave the nest. Should I be concerned or will she eventually bring the first two out? HELP!!!! Any advice would be great!!

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:It varies with the Hen, I've had good broody's that get off the nest within 36 hours and raise the chicks up just fine. I've also had broody Hens that ignore the chicks and remain broody on the nest whether there are eggs or not in the nest. I've also had Hens that get off the nest and disregard the chicks altogether. I once had a major predator attack that whittled my flock of 40 down to just 7 hens and a Roo-----I had one Hen go broody and placed an egg or two a day under her, then pulled the chicks as they hatched----she sat for 8 weeks and I pulled 25 chicks from her a chick or two a day and placed them inside the house brooder for raising.

3. pinds77

Oct 1, 2007
    Thanks darkmatter! This is our first time hatching them naturally as opposed to an incubator. Sounds like I am panicking a little too soon? We have thought about taking them out of her nest and bringing them into the house....but she won't let us near her!! I'll just wait and watch a little longer to see what happens.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My broody is hatching right now, too.
    Don't worry about momma hen getting up,she will when she is ready.
    The chicks will come out from under her once they get hungry, so leave water and chick food nearby,

Good Luck,

Sandie

5. pinds77

Oct 1, 2007
    Thanks Sandie! Should I be concerned about my other hens and rooster harming the babies? Should I seperate them?

6. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Definitely separate, don't take the chance!!!! It's a good idea to separate before the eggs hatch.

Congrats!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by