Help!! Baby chukars

jjchick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec,Canada
I finally have my first hatch of baby chukars. One of them seems a little weak. WHat kind of vitamins can I give it? I currently have some Super booster that I give my chicks but it has antibiotics in it. Is this a no no for chukars. It has penicillin g and streptomycin in it

hello,
i just went through that with a pheasant chick, i gave sugar water about every 15 mins or so for the first hours, and then here and there through the day when he looked bad, also gave some boiled egg and clover , he didnt want to eat the crumbles, hes much better today,
good luck,
juliet

You can also go to the store and get some poly-vi-sol infant vitamin drops, make sure they are without iron, and give a drop on the beak once or twice a day. But the sugar water should help perk it up
smile.png

There are several different kinds of poultry vitamins & electrolytes. In my opinion these are much better than sugar water. Check your local farm store. Also chukars, pheasants, quail, etc. need the higher protein gamebird starter instead of regular chick starter.

Quote:
I'll second that.

Protein should be about 30% for them. You'll find most of the starter crumbles are on the large side for Quail and Chukar the first few days to a week - crush it up some before giving it to them.

If you give any vegetable matter, make sure they have fine grit to go along with it. (should have the #1 size grit with them anyway)

Back
Top Bottom