Help! Baby gosling won't eat

Discussion in 'Geese' started by LisabethBrooke, Apr 28, 2017.

1. LisabethBrooke

LisabethBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    I bought 4 goslings Wednesday. Three of them are doing fine, eating and drinking and chirping around, but the fourth is the smallest and doesn't seem to be doing to well. Last night I thought he was acting week and the other three keep stepping on him. So I put a heating pad in the "brooder". I have them in an old plastic tote. I can't attach a heat lamp to it and I can't put them outside in my chick brooding pen yet because they're too small and something - a pregnant barn cat - will most likely eat them. They all love the heating pad though. I have it draped over the top of a coated wire frame basket that hangs off of a shelf, and a small receiving blanket on top of the pad. The smallest sickly one I'm worried about crawls under the basket and lays there, while the other three lay on top. He just seems to be getting weaker though and definitely isn't eating or drinking when the others are. I took him out and put a few dry pieces of food into his mouth - had to pry his beak open. and then followed that with dribbling some water into it off of my finger. He munched on them a little and seemingly swallowed it all but acted like he was ready to go to sleep. He also isn't walking the best and he rests on his butt. Like the actual butt, not laying down on his belly like the others. He sits down and has his legs sprawled in front, which results in him having poor balance and falling over.

What do I do?
    Do I mix the chick starter *unmedicated* with some water until its a soupy paste and feed him with a syringe? Maybe soup up a cooked egg and feed him that? I have fresh chicken eggs if that would make a difference.

2. LisabethBrooke

LisabethBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    Update - He is drinking on his own! Yay. Still not eating but at least he will drink. Of course to drink he has to lay on top of the dish in the water, but he is a goose I'm sure its just too tempting. I will dry him off when he is done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by