Help, Baby hen leg/foot issues. NOT Splayed legs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Farmer John, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Farmer John

Farmer John Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2007
    707 NoCal
    Hello,

I'm having some issues with one of my baby chicks I recently recieved from Ideal. She's not even a week old yet.
    I don't think her legs are splayed. When she wants to, she can move around almost fine... She can stand up straight and still for a few few seconds...run around, and then plops back on her behind. Most of the time she just lays on her butt [​IMG] She seems healthy. She moves around plenty to eat, and drink, and seems to have been pooping just fine. I tryed the bandaid trick, and i've also seen the how to webpage.
    It seems like when she's on her feet she's always tip-toeing around. I think it's either one or both feet that are the issue... Her toes don't seem to spread out or relax when walking.
    Obviously I really want her to make it. I worry that she's not being able to keep up with her sisters, as they're doing just great. She's not getting trampled, but sometimes gets into a spot where she can't get out of so easily, not untill her sisters decide to move over..like a corner. On the other hand... she can run and jump/hop over the feeder/trough just fine..?!?!
    I'm hoping one of the many experts around here can help fill me in. [​IMG] Oh, and of course she peeps like crazy when I take her away from her sister(for pictures,etc.) for any amount of time. I don't really want to take her away from them but i've read that I may have to in order to keep her safe from the others. I was kinda hoping things would not come to that so please let me know your thoughts on that also. Thanks so much!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These last two are the better shots of what's going on that i'm trying to describe.
    Sorry if my pics are not the most helpfull... I can give it another shot tomorrow. I'll also update on her condition.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Some people make a little shoe for them, just cut out a piece of cardboard froman old shoe box or the like and tape the feet to the little shoe. It should help straighten the toes. It the chick does not walk with the shoes on after a few hours then you might have to remove it. The muscles in the legs need to strengthen. It may correct itself as the chick get up and around for several days. Some are just a bit slower to develop Land Legs.

3. Farmer John

Farmer John Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2007
    707 NoCal
    Thanks for the help!
    It appears less noticable this morning...
    It takes me an extra few seconds to tell her apart from her sisters, so that's good.
    Hopefully, it's just a case of her being slightly behind the rest, and now she's starting to catch up.
    Thanks again for the information.
    Farmer John

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by