Help! Baby is limping, and has a swollen leg! What is it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Iluvmypeeps, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Iluvmypeeps

Iluvmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    One of my baby quails is limping, after three days of treatment for what looked like a vitamin B deficiency. Now, his foot is getting very swollen and he's babying it even more. Is this bumblefoot? If so, how would I go about treating it? Will it leave permanent damage behind? Please help!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. Iluvmypeeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    Thank you so much!

But the stuff for fish is extremely expensive. Nobody really said how effective some of the treatments were; I'm dying to know if there's anything I already have that I could use.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I used tricide neo and had success with some of the smaller bumblefoot sores shrinking and disappearing/falling off. However, with the larger cases it was more time consuming....more than 2 weeks worth of soaking that I didnt have time for. It was easier to perform the foot surgery and and have their feet healed up within a week, and have them on their way. There are plenty of posts on here on how to perform the surgery...just type in "bumblefoot surgery" in the search box and you should get plenty of info on how to do it. If that's what you want to do.

4. Iluvmypeeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    I have a question; can you soak the foot in diluted peroxide to kill some of the bacteria?

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    no.........i wouldn't! And it is effective but surgery is another option. If left untreated the bird will get sick and eventually die. It's a staph infection................

that's if it is that...............does it have something on bottom of the foot. It might have just hurt it's foot and is limping. Chickens i would buy the fish stuff...........it's 20 bucks, thats not alot of $$. Quail i would do something else.......................

6. Iluvmypeeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    Quote:Do something else? Like what??

I'm almost sure it's Bumblefoot. It's really swollen, and especially in the ball of the foot.

7. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:Do something else? Like what??

I'm almost sure it's Bumblefoot. It's really swollen, and especially in the ball of the foot.

there would be a scab...........is there a scab? I would cull................ just my personal preference. NOT suggesting it!!!!!!!!!!!

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If there's a round black spot on the bottom of the footpad or on the botton of their toes....that's bumblefoot.

9. Iluvmypeeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    I can't find a black spot, and now it's driving me crazy that this might not be Bumblefoot. [​IMG]

What do I do if it isn't Bumblefoot??

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by