HELP baby silkie gasping for air

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenbuttsowhat, Oct 19, 2011.

1. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    i went out to check on my babies this mornign and my splash silkie was making weird sound and gasping for air i pulled her out and brought her in side there's no snot coming out of her nose and her eyes r fine so i dont know whats wrong with her she was fine last night shes about a month old it was cold last night but i had the heat lamp on and it was nice and warm in there so i dont know whats wrong with her pls help dont want to lose her

2. jmlorton

jmlorton Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Lexington, KY
    i would keep her separate chickens can get a lot of diseases that involve their respiratory system but for sure keep her separate until she gets better i have a great book on poultry ill look at when i get home and get back with you with some ideas.

3. chickenbuttsowhat

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    ok ty so much i'll keep her in with me need to dig out my heating bad to keep her warm

4. chickenbuttsowhat

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    pls anyone got answer that i could do now anything i can give her shes so young and hard to find silkies around here and deff splash

5. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    Is she trying to eat and drink like normal? What are you feeding? Are you feeding grit? How old is she? Is she doing anything else aside from gasping? Have you wormed your chickens?

Try to give her a little bowl of food and water normally in little dishes and see if that helps. Heating pad wrapped in a few layers of towel so not to burn and make sure she has a place to get off of it if she gets too hot. Set it on LOW.

6. chickenbuttsowhat

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    idk havent seen her eat yet i feed medicated chick feed and if i have left over eggs hard bowled eggs no shes just making a funny sound and gasping its like a lil squawck shes about a month old but hart to really tell cuz i bought her about 3 weeks ago i have her on a nice silkie feeling cloth with heating pad on under here right now shes stop gasping and is sleeping normal but when i wake her shes starts all over again

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  7. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    open her beak and look down her throat and see if there is something stuck in there. When she breathes does it sound rattley? Does her breathing sound fluidy at all?

Possibility is normally either a foreign object lodges in the throat, bedding that sort of thing, or gapeworms. That's the reason I asked about worming. If the inside of her throat looks red or swollen, then that is more likley unless you are seeing fluid discharge.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  8. chickenbuttsowhat

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    can i worm her at such a young age? and no i dont hear a fluid sound whens she comfy shes quiet like if its nice and warm but when the heating pad turns off (automatic turn off after 30 min) then she start gasping again so im very confused [​IMG]

9. jmlorton

jmlorton Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Lexington, KY
    sorry i didn't get back to you i didn't see anything that really could be treated other than the suggestion of worms or foreign object. the other problems dont end well but seem to be a little ore rare in backyard flocks. is she still having the problem or any update?

10. chickenbuttsowhat

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    i gave her some light antibotic and shes doing better this morning i heard her playing in her box havent heard make that sound since yesterday morning and it was just a light squawk i looked down her mouth and didnt see nothing that shows signs of worms so i didnt worm her cuz im to scared that shes to young but im still keeping a close eye on her [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by