1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Baby Silkie Just Born And Something Is Hanging

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lacrystol, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    One of my silkies just hatched and now he had these red and pink bubbles hanging out of his butt? What do I do?

2. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Protect the chick from being pecked by any others in the brood, but leave her in the incubator,
    she may not be finished absorbing the yolk, or it may just be left over stuff from the egg. If if it comes of with gently washing no problem, but if not you could try covering the area with a warm damp paper towel. If it appears to be bleeding you could try cornstarch or flour to stop the bleeding.
    Good luck.
    [​IMG]

3. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Ok no it's not bleeding, the outside looks like the whole to her vent which is enlarged then there's this red bubble thing. Every time she peeps it seems to get bigger...

4. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I tried to take a picture but I got so scared they didn't come out real good, I will try again though, here's what we have so far..

[​IMG]

5. Suechick

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Aww, poor baby. I hope it's going to be OK.

Can you post this to the emergency board also. I don't know who's around at this hour to help out. I don't know very much.
    I would try to keep it warm, moist and covered and hope it heals on it's own in the incubator. Could it be the area around the "belly button" where the yolk and blood vessels absorb just before hatching? If it is I know I've heard of chicks hatching before that whole process is finished and sometimes they can heal up in 12 hours or so. I don't think there's a whole lot you can do right now accept make sure that no other chicks can get to the injury since they will peck it to pieces.

I'll say a prayer for you and hope someone else has seen something like this before who can help.

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Thank you, I will post it on the emergency and see what happens. Thanks..

7. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    Now that I get a better look at it, I think it is the navel. Perhaps you should heed the advice of someone who posted on your thread in the Emergency section and apply iodine. It could be that something was not fully absorbed when the chick hatched.

From the rules: * Do not post threads questioning moderation.​

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2011
  8. Suechick

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    How is the baby doing this morning? [​IMG]

From the rules: * Do not post threads questioning moderation.​

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2011
  9. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    My baby is doing great, it seem to have shrunk and the swelling has gone down and she's acting totally normal. Boy, I forgot how noise baby chicks are exspecailly when you have 3 of them together..

10. Suechick

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Glad to hear it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by