HELP! Baby Silkie with hurt foot!

kysilkies

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
A new baby born today has not stopped crying since she was hatched...We can't see anything wrong with her...We've tried some pedialite and egg mixture, nothing but steady squawking...She's drank some, not eaten much and hasn't pooped, born 5hrs ago...

Any thoughts?...

Last edited:
Is the baby alone? There is no poop cause there is nothing in her system yet. They can go a couple days before needing food and water.

Is she moving around? How's the temperature? Is she cold or too hot? I give mine a balled-up wash cloth to cozy up to... like they would their mom.

She is probably fine... just being a baby.

Keep and eye on her, hold her when she is dry... keep her temp up...

D

>>>>Is the baby alone?

No, there's a day old and 2 day old in there with her...

>>>There is no poop cause there is nothing in her system yet. They can go a couple days before needing food and water.

I realize that, 99% of ours have pooped by now...This wasn't a big thing, just wanted to be comprehensive in my description...SHe just ate some yoke, karo and pedialite, we'll see how she does!

>>>Is she moving around?

Yes!

>>>How's the temperature? Is she cold or too hot?

She seems little cool so we're keeping the temp in the brooder up...

>>>I give mine a balled-up wash cloth to cozy up to... like they would their mom.

They have a big white fluffy bunny that everyone of our babies have enjoyed and a soft wash clothe...

...She is probably fine... just being a baby.

We're hoping, out of over 40 of these, this one is just unusual...

>>>Keep and eye on her, hold her when she is dry... keep her temp up...

We are the king and queen of spoilers!!!! She'll get 24.7 nursing until she's like the rest!

THANK YOU so much for responding, it's like having someone to talk to here all the time when you need someone!
hugs.gif

I like to have someone to talk to also... so how's the little one doing? Hopefully she is getting stronger...

We had a heart wrenching fatality yesterday... my mom was over and we are very aware of our chicks and chickens... never lift a foot when we have the babies out. Yesterday we were sitting in the area where we let them play... Well... (can you see where this is going...) one of my big girls came and in grabbed one of my babies by the wing and flipped her... my mom reacted by partially standing and saving that baby who is fine... (lifting her left heel about 2 inches... needless to say, when she lowered her heel... well, 'nuff said. She cried for 20 minutes... I felt so bad, there was nothing we could do.

I had trouble sleeping last night... I felt so bad for the baby... and felt so bad for my mom... she is normally so careful and caring of all animals. I don't think she has ever hurt an animal (though she has put down animals that needed to be put down, I view that as different)...

Thanks for listening...

D

I'm so sorry to read that, I can only imagine...

Our lil pretty much yapped her lil head off most of yesterday, we did what we could for her and today she seems a lil better...I think she has a leg/foot issue...We're just letting her relax today, so good so far...

Cut a small (about 1/2" ) square of thin cardboard and round the edges. Put the babies foot on it and be sure the toes are straightened like they should be. Tape around it with scotch tape being sure to secure the foot to the little board well. I used double sided scotch tape on the top of the board and put the foot right on it. After 2 days of wearing the "magic shoe", the babies foot should be fine. Do it now, though. I waited on one of mine and she ended up having the toe stay turned under...not a good thing.

Someone else said they did the same thing but just used a bandaid.

Back
Top Bottom