help baby silkie.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by All4JnG, Jan 24, 2014.

1. All4JnG

All4JnG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    Central Florida
    I got 5 baby silkies this afternoon they hatched last night. I'm a little nervous about 1 he/she is smaller then the rest. Under her wings is still a little wet looking from being hatched ?? She eats drinks wobbly walks but she seems slower. she is doing but the others

2. All4JnG

Jan 1, 2014
    Central Florida
    The same as the others. Could she have hatched later? Will she be ok

3. sparky chicken

sparky chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014
    She should be OK if you keep a close eye on her. Best wishes

4. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    Wobbly is normal for 1 day old.

I would give her electrolytes asap. you can make homemade electrolytes out of simple ingredients like sugar, salt, and baking soda: http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/07/hot-weather-acidosis-and-homemade.html

Probiotics too, if you have them handy. A common brand is Sav-a-Chick sold in feed stores. You can buy a packet of probiotics, and electrolytes, and mix them both together in a 1 gallon jug and store it in the fridge (if you use small pint waterers like me)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How is your chick today? My Silkies are usually very wobbly at first, its surprising when I find one zooming around the incubator. Their just a calm, easy going breed in general, and I find that definitely describes the chicks I hatch [​IMG]
    Good luck, congrats on your new chicks!
    (P.S- we like pictures here...)

1 person likes this.
  6. All4JnG

Jan 1, 2014
    Central Florida
    She is much better I kept watch on her through out the night. I think she was just younger than the others.

7. All4JnG

Jan 1, 2014
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    This is her, I'm calling her little bit she has much more spunk today. I kept a close eye on her all night. But I think I was just being a paranoid new momma hen. She is Eating and drinking. She moved out of the heat with the rest of the chicks. Her poo is a little running? Not as bad as yesterday. I kinds want to just climb in the brooder and cuddle them. Lol

8. All4JnG

Jan 1, 2014
    Central Florida
    Would pedialyte (electrolytes for kids) work. If not I will head back to the feed store to have some on hand. Thank you do much for the tips! I live this site!!

9. All4JnG

Jan 1, 2014
    Central Florida
    Do you see how it's still a little wet around her beak?

10. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I wouldn't bother with the Pedalyte. Chickens have a diarrhea like bowl movement every 10 poo or so. Its called a cecal, it clears out the birds intestinal tract and is completely normal. Just make sure their booties stay clean.

From the picture, it just looks like there's still some egg crust or wetness from hatching.

She's adorable and looks completely normal to me [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by