Help! Bad egg in bator

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by christelg, Jan 4, 2014.

1. christelg

christelg New Egg

Jan 4, 2014
    So my muscovy eggs are hatching had our first one come out at 230 pm today but I'm a little worried about one egg that's in there... It's sort of black and looks like it has stuff oozing out around it. Can I take it open bator and take it out? Worried this egg has some bacteria is that okay for the babies to be breathing in? What should I do!?[​IMG]

2. christelg

christelg New Egg

Jan 4, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I would get it out of there. It might explode. Yuck. But others might not want to open the incubator.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Get the bad egg out. An exploding egg can cause a lot more problems than temporary decrease in humidity.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Get the egg out carefully, maybe even cover it with a bag, just in case it explodes while you handle it. I lost several eggs when a quail egg blew up in my bator once.

6. christelg

christelg New Egg

Jan 4, 2014
    Okay I'm gonna take it out! Thank you all :) here is our first baby[​IMG]

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

8. skittles1

skittles1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    for sure open incubator and get it out, i had one explode, i had to then open and remove all the good egss while i cleaned the incubator, (baked on rotten egg)
    this took about 10 minutes, i kept the eggs under a light while i was doing this. out of 18 eggs i had 5 that did not hatch, another that did not make it totally out of the egg. could have been for this brief time out of the humidity?? dont know.
    but i have not had any issues with a 20 second open and remove. that is if none are currently coming out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by