Help, bald patch on my chickens back

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lou Stevens, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Lou Stevens

Lou Stevens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2015
    Hi everyone,
    I have a lovely Australope hen who appears to have developed a bald patch on her back (please see pics) within the last week or so. She is a lovely girl, very quite and simple :) BUT after doing some research I'm thinking my rooster, Emmett is the culprit. He doesn't appear to be doing it much with my other girls and they don't have any feathers missing but I think Emmett picks on her a bit and tends to 'favour' her. After night inspection, I couldn't find any mites or parasites on her (or any of the others).

I have tried to watch him around her, and he doesn't seem to do it when I'm there....but I think he does it whilst I'm not there.

What's everybody's thoughts from looking at the pictures, does it look like rooster pecking/ mounting? I have purchased her a saddle to help heal her patch but if I find out it's Emmett....he'll have to go (won't tolerate my girls being picked on). She's a bit sore, red and swollen :( also that Benedine antiseptic lotion on her skin too hence the brown tinge on her skin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yep, looks like rooster damage. Since she's his favorite you might want to get her a hen saddle for protection.

3. Lou Stevens

Sep 30, 2015
    Hummm thought so, yes I've purchased one online today :)

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2

You may want to cage her in the run while her back is healing. This will give her a rest as well[​IMG] Add some poultry vitamins to her water if you have them (once or twice a week) and offer some extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

Saddles work fairly well for protection, but her back needs to heal. Even after she heals, check under the saddle once a week to make sure there are any sores forming.

5. Lou Stevens

Sep 30, 2015
    Great idea, I have some vitamins at home so I will give it to her (and the other girls) this weekend. I think I will 'remove' him....like permanently. I don't like to think what this could be doing to her mentally, and what if he starts on the others? also here in South Australia is gets bloody hot in summer and I don't feel right with the poor girl wearing a saddle on the hot days :(

6. CleanEggs

CleanEggs Just Hatched

Jul 31, 2016
    Fort Lauderdale
    I have a lovely little hen who was ripped down to the bloody meat from a rooster. A large area too. Well, I was horrified. The feed store recommended Nu Stock. I slathered some on her rather thickly and let it dry. I added more in the coming days if raw spots showed through. I got rid of the rooster although he was magnificent to behold. My little hen is healed up perfectly. Hope this helps you. I am certainly grateful for the advice as it saved my girl.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  7. Lou Stevens

Sep 30, 2015
    Oh no, how horrible :( I would hate for that to happen to my sweet Rosaline. It's unfortunate I too will have to say 'goodbye' to Emmett but I can't have my innocent hen(s) suffer. Thank you for the advice :)

8. CleanEggs

CleanEggs Just Hatched

Jul 31, 2016
    Fort Lauderdale
    I am sorry about Emmett. There are ways to reduce the spur, but I did not trust myself to the process. But you can find info on the site for trimming. Not sure if his spur is causing your damage, but my Sonny was leaving Dolly bleeding on the ground. Nu Stock cleaned, protected and closed that wound right up. Wish all three of you the best.

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I've heard good things about Nu Stock. Good idea.

I've also used A+D ointment (usually found with the diaper rash ointments), it works well under hen saddles as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by