HELP...Baling twing horror...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FLGardenguy, Jun 25, 2011.

1. FLGardenguy

FLGardenguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    About a month ago my beautiful true araucana boy got wrapped in some baling twin and it cut him something aweful. To the bone on the front side of his left leg..i pulled the twine away and i've just kept it clean and change his wraps every night...it's now clean meat..no infection as i can tell..no puss or redness..his toes and feet work fine but he limps and his foot is swollen and white but it's warm and he can grip with it...i can't afford the 200 bucks it'll cost at the bird doc here to fix him up so i'm doing my best..he's on tetramicin in his water..one question if you please...i have tylan 50 injectable...will that help him heal and what else can i do to help?...today i've let his wound stay open for the day..is this ok? or should i keep changing at night? thanks for any help and advise offered....Robert

2. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    It you've been wrapping it that might be why his foot looks white (like your skin after a bandage comes off). You might try some liquid bandage instead, or even some blue kote, if the meat looks healthy. As for the Tylan, I'd be hesitant if the oral meds are working. Too much antibiotic can be as bad or worse than not enough (intestinal upset, kidney problems, etc.) And if he's moving the foot I'd say you're doing a good job and that it's just going to take time. Even if he's left with a bit of a limp he will compensate quite nicely. I have a little Sebrite that has no toes (sweet lil Stumpy - she arrived that way as a chick) and she keeps up with the rest of the flock no problem).

3. FLGardenguy

Nov 22, 2010
    OH no...Stumpy..tell her im sorry...this boy is mad as hell being stuck inside in a cage...should i keep him inside or could i keep his leg wrapped and let back to his wives? He's eating and drinking and crows right on time...which is usually about every 56 minutes...lol. Thanks for your help..Robert

4. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    As long as he is not being picked on while out there....I would wrap it, or blue kote it and let him out there...just keep an eye that no one picks on his wound

--laura--

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    It is amazing how they will pick up twine, string, kite string, baling twine, fishing line, anything, and wrap it around
    their feet and legs, especially when they are free ranging it is a problem. I don't know how it happens except
    they must scratch it up out of the ground. We have learned to be diligent in picking up any we see. It is very
    dangerous. We've had some close calls, but nothing like what you have. We had a roo who limped for several
    days after we unwrapped hiis leg from string. He did eventually recover and quit limping. The skin was not broken
    on his leg, it was just very sore and took a while to recover.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  6. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    If it is sore and still swollen you might try a crushed baby aspirin in his water or a treat...can't remember what the dosage
    is, but it's on here somewhere.

7. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:It is one crushed baby aspirin per 1 Cup of water [​IMG]

8. FLGardenguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Do birds feel pain the way we do? I feel just aweful seeing a bird hurt but i know cats have high tolerance for pain...what about birds?

9. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    they have a higher tolerance too....but IDC who you are or what you are..THAT WOULD HURT [​IMG]

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would spray it with blue kote and keep it wrapped with vet wrap to keep out dirt. Let him out to be a chicken if no one is bothering him, the movement will help the leg /foot heal. Birds are amazing healers. Tylan 50 is more for respitory illness, I would use penicillian or the like, 250mg for either people or animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by