help! bantam having trouble standing/walking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mackak, Mar 14, 2015.

1. mackak

mackak Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    I hope someone can direct me in the right direction because I'm feeling clueless! We just found our little hen in her coop. Her tail is down and she's sitting back on her bottom. When she does manage to get on her feet she can take a few steps but loses her balance easily and falls back. She wasn't interested in food but took a few sips of water. She talks a little to her buddy and her color looks good. She does feel like she has a hard round marble at the bottom of her crop but also a hard mass in her esophagus or the top of her crop. Can crop issues affect her legs? I'm just not sure where to begin to help her!! Does anyone have any ideas?!

Marie McCormack

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? I would offer her vitamins with electrolytes just in case of a deficiency.

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I think this article will be of great assistance to you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments If you still have questions, like what to do with her tonight or whatever, please do ask! [​IMG]

4. mackak

mackak Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    Eggcessive,
    She came from a feed store so I'm assuming she was vaccinated for marek's. One thing I forgot to mention is that she's pooping like a broody hen. I don't know if that means anything or not. She does not feel egg bound.

Justplainbatty....Thank you for the link. I might try something tomorrow.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most feed stores do not vaccinate for Mareks. You can call and ask yours. With Marks disease, there can be lameness, and tumors anywhere in the body including the digestive tract are common. Hopefully it is nothing that serious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by