Help! Bator keeping too low a temp for first 4 days!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dianneS, Feb 11, 2013.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I had to get a new incubator in an emergency situation (shipped eggs coming in the mail and old bator blew up). I set up the new one and its holding a steady temp, I'm just not sure that the thermometer that came with it is accurate? I didn't get a second thermometer, just didn't have time to buy one and decided to trust the one that came with the new bator.

I candled this morning and it should be about day 4. I usually candle at day three and always see something. These eggs have nothing going on in there. Nothing at all.

If my temp has been too low all this time, is there any chance of a hatch at all?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    What is the current temperature reading? I think you should get another good quality thermometer and check.

3. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I just tried to calibrate this thermometer and another using ice water. The thermometer that came with the incubator is 2-3 degrees off according to the ice water method.

So basically, I set the eggs 4 days ago (today is the start of day 4) at what would have been 96.5 - 98.5 degrees for the past 3-4 days. Is there a chance they can still hatch?

Should I look on the bright side and be optimistic and consider this an extra long "settling" period for the eggs and a VERY gradual acclimation to the higher temp?

I've allowed eggs to settle for more than 48 hours and had 100% hatch (using a broody) however, they were settling at only room temperature.

I'm really stressed about this, any help would be appreciated!

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I would look on the bright side, fix your temps and candle again in a few days. Its soon to candle and if temps were running low they wouldnt progress much. Good Luck!

5. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I'm trying to be optimistic. I'm just considering today day one and keeping my fingers crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by