1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! BB Red Rooster mouth problem??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meganjean, Nov 15, 2011.

1. meganjean

meganjean New Egg

Nov 14, 2011
    I need some advice please!![​IMG]

I noticed yesterday when I was feeding our chickens that "Red Man" our BB Red Rooster kept his mouth open the whole time I was in the cage...
    I just thought, yeah that's kind of weird.
    So today when I was feeding them I noticed that he would try to eat but seemed like he couldn't swallow??
    I thought maybe he tried to eat something and something was stuck in his mouth/throat??

So I grabbed him up and opened up his beak and this is what I found???
    It almost looks like corn but it looks like it's literally adhered to him?? I'm clueless...

[​IMG]

**Sorry if the image is blurry... I used my husband's camera on his iphone...
    I have another image but it's a really large image but I'll be happy to post it if need be.

I feed all my chickens a mix of crumble and cracked corn.
    We've raised our bantams and laying hens together in one big cage but never a problem with their feeding habits??

Any clues about what's going on?? Any suggestions would be really helpful :) Thanks in advance!!

We have "Red Man" quarantined from the other chickens until I can figure out what is going on.

I just finished nursing back (for 2 weeks) our most gorgeous hen, a Seabright Silver Black Laced, named Flower :)
    My daughter names all of our chickens, Flower came from the little skunk off of the movie Bambi [​IMG]

I'm saddened to say that once I returned her to the coop a bear broke into the cage the next early morning and ate her right up [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
  3. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Good that you knew there was something wrong. Hope you can help out the poor bird. Good luck! (sorry I can't offer any help....)

4. meganjean

meganjean New Egg

Nov 14, 2011
    Thank you for the link!
    I checked it out... That sounds identical to what's going on!!

It's definitely somewhere for me to start my research on what to do for Red Man.

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by