HELP BCM chick peeped too low...not moving or peeping now

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickiemomma4, Sep 4, 2009.

1. chickiemomma4

chickiemomma4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Help......this is my first hatch with BCM's. One chick hatched great. Second one peeped just right on one side and then peeped low on the other. No more movement now and no peeping. Please tell me it didn't drown. Do I intervine? [​IMG]

2. chickiemomma4

Aug 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:Help those that are more experienced. Very expensive eggs. Don't want to lose her (him).[​IMG]

3. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    How long has it been since the first peep? Does it look dry?

4. chickiemomma4

Aug 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:It has been a few hours since it stopped moving or peeping. It looks a little dry. I put a tiny drop of water on it with a plastic hose and syringe and was careful to do it on the first side where it peeped. I still don't hear anything. The humidity is good in the incubator, but dropped low this morning. It was good when I want to bed the second time at 4:30 AM in the morning. 58....this morning 40 YIKES...so I upped it right away. Thanks.

5. chickiemomma4

Aug 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:HELLOOOOOO OUT THERE! ANYBODY HOME?

6. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Chickiemomma
    I got the same eggs from the same seller. Drove to her house that Saturday to pick them up. They aren't even peeping yet!

She did tell me I might have to help some out. Read the stickies on helping them hatch about having a q tip and if there is ANY red blood stop and put it back in. That's what I would do - just sneak it out real quick. I know some say you'll jeopardize the whole hatch so it's a big decision - just what I would do is try to see what's going on. Any other pips? Maybe I wouldn't if the others are pipping. I know there are people with a lot more experience than me but I have helped a few out and wished I had helped others.

Good luck,
    Lois

7. robbdebbie

robbdebbie Professional Chicken Bather

Jun 18, 2009
    Madisonville, LA
    My BCM did the same thing. Only one hatched on its own. Three others pipped and then nothing. I had an awful flu, and barely went into look at the chicks hatching. I was sooooooooooooo sick. Anyways, my uninterested dh helped one out, but the other two died. The one that he did help out was all sticky and needed a bath. It was weird. If they are not moving anymore it might me too late. I could see the two breathing for a while. I guess if want open the bator really quick and get them out, and then try and help them out I guess. Sorry you are having a hard time.

8. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    chickiemomma - it might be that this is one you'll need to help. Slip in and get it quickly if you can. Tap the egg and listen for a peep. If you hear one, you're still good. Dampen a paper towel and hold the egg in that while you work. Slowly work from the pip and take tiny pieces of shell, working towards a zip. Try to leave the membrane intact. Place a small piece of damp paper towel over the membrane so that this stays moist, or you can dampen it slightly with a q-tip. You'll want to make a small hole in some of the membrane near the beak. If at anytime you see blood, stop. I wouldn't recommend hatching the chick entirely yourself, just maybe give it a good start.

[​IMG] Good luck hun! I know it's scary, but you might be it's only chance.

9. chickiemomma4

Aug 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone. Wish I had helped sooner. The chick is dead. It was perfectly formed. No water in the shell. It's head was upside down in the egg.....head not on the top half, but down at the bottom. No blood.....eveything looked great. I think it couldn't get air. No more peeping eggs right now. Just have the tiny little chick that hatched out of the small egg marked PEEWEE just for fun. If I have anymore that peep and can't get out, I will help. Seems the membranes are tough a bit. Any thoughts guys? [​IMG]

10. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] I'm sorry. I wish that I could have helped you to save this baby. Don't give up hope! These others might not even hatch til Sunday! In the meantime, you'll have to just keep PeeWee good company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by