Help! Beak black with frostbite - what can I do?

Pastiche

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2016
My lovely Sicilia Buttercup has black around her nostrils and the base of her beak! Half the beak is affected, and I'm worried sick. I only have three chickens, and I've brought them inside tonight, and put neosporin on their beaks? Am I an idiot for doing this? I can't find anything at all about frostbitten beaks - just wattles, combs and toes. But I"m terrified she will lose her beak. I understand the blackened areas signify necrotic tissue. How will she survive without a beak?

I realize I sound hysterical at this point - but I would appreciate any advice or experience anyone can give me. Thank you!

Welcome to BYC. Please try to post a picture or two of the chicken. Are you certain she didn't get something on her beak, or damaged it?

No, I think I'm just a novice. My husband pulled up an earlier photo of these hens, and lo and behold, they have black on portions of their beaks! That's just how they look. I must have been more worried about the 16 degree temp that I realized.

How did my children survive me as a mom?

Thank you so much for responding. Is it even possible to get frostbite on a beak?

Oh, don't worry about it--I'm sure your kids are fine. I've not seen frostbite of the beak, but feet, legs, combs, and wattles seem to get it especially during January and February every year.

Back
Top Bottom