1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Beefy Identify the Mystery Organism

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by beefy, Sep 8, 2008.

1. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    [​IMG]

2. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    It looks like kelp. If it isn't kelp, but some animal organism, it looks like trouble.

Rufus

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    where did you find it at,was it alive when you found it,can you put like a dime or other change next to it so we can judge size.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm assuming you mean that brown thing that is bigger on one end then gets skinny. Was/is it alive? If so, did it creep like an inch worm? It looks to me like what we call a "mouse". It's a developmental stage of flies. That will crawl off into a place it deams as good and then it will get a dry crusty outside and then hatch into a fly.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I answered Beefy over on the garden forum where this was also posted, but for anyone who's curious, it's a "rat-tailed maggot". Seriously. The aquatic larva of a syrphid hoverfly. Basically harmless, allegedly good fishbait, all-around cool gross pond critter [​IMG]

(e.t.a - as Miss Kitty says, they are also sometimes called 'mouses'. They pupate terrestrially, so you can indeed sometimes see them roaming near the edges of skanky stagnant muddy organicky ponds/ditches/puddles etc)

Pat

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That is just disgusting.

7. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Nas-ty! [​IMG]

8. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    ah, the line between disgusting and beautiful is a thin one indeed . . .

9. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    it was in a pot that has a palmetto palm in it with a bunch of bark in for mulch to keep the chickens from digging in it and it collects rain water b/c it doesnt have drainage so when i went i went to dump the water (again) i found those. there were five and i gave them to the chickens. i'm sure there are others in the pot, i'll just leave them be.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/7183

at least its not a bee or i would feel really bad...

10. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Well when I first read the title I sure didn't think he was asking us to idenify that LOL. Good thing I read it twice before I clicked and posted hey LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by