HELP !BEES ,CHICKENS AND PIGS

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mumofsix, Feb 21, 2014.

1. mumofsix

mumofsix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Appalachian
    I live in the country. I have 4 stands of Honey Bees . Which I supply all My Neighbors with Honey . My bees Have No chemicals (only Pure Table Salt). Never lost any Bees in 10 years .The grandkids want a full farm ... mind You they are 12,11,11,8,7and 6 and all live 1-2 hours away .Now we are going to raise pigs again after 11 years. We Ordered 25 chicks all big stock to lay assorted colored eggs. All the neighbors are "Family" How can I tell them We can't Supply them Free eggs?? They are the borrow ,borrow type. I don't want to be mean . ANY ADVICE

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Tell them you just can't afford to give them away but you can sell them some. If they want to know why quote the price for organic feed (avg. $37 for 50lb sac) and tell them how much those little buggers can eat. That leaves you open to sell them if you want to while setting in their mind that chickens aren't cheap. The avg. price for free range eggs is $3-$5 a dozen, if they are the borrow only type they won't want to buy any.

3. mumofsix

Feb 21, 2014
    Appalachian
    Thanks ! and I love Your chick pic. I'll also put locks on My Houses . My Husband passed away in Sept. 2013 and I've made plans to do volunteer work at the Hospital and the Veterans rehab. as soon as it 's finished. Rest of my time with Grandkids and the Farm. Thanks again

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I know this sounds cheap but I am really sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I lost mine June of '11, it never gets better it just comes in slower waves. Volunteer work is always good!

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I agree that letting them know it would be difficult for you to give away eggs and continue to afford to raise chickens is a good way to go! This is purely personal choice, but I never mind trading eggs for baked goods or other things that I use that they may produce! Sometimes people think that is a fun idea and its always fun to see what they want to trade! I love canned goods, as I often don't have time for that myself!

6. mumofsix

Feb 21, 2014
    Appalachian
    Thanks for the advice . a nice little Lady told me She would trade me all Her leftovers for couple dozen a month. Several friends told me to get them a Scrap bucket and lid and I can have Their Scraps.My Son Is a Professional Tree Trimmer and promised pine Chips . Some of His workers said they would bring the wood they cut to me for eggs .(I have a wood heater and a Wood Cook stove ) a small store said they will take Orders . So besides My NEIGHBORS (that can't or won't cook) I told them they need to get them a few hens. Answer ; "No way!" Things will work out after all for God is walking with Me . Amen[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by