Help!! Benny is ill!!

Bennyshenhouse

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 13, 2015
Almost 3 weeks ago, I found Benny, my RIR Rooster laying in the yard and couldn't stand up. I research and thought it could be Mareks, but that's the only symptom he has. My vet said it could be an ear infection, so I put him on antibiotics. No improvement. Did more research and thought it might be scale mites, so I bathed and blow dried him ( he did not like that and fought me beak and claw) then applied seven, vasaline to his legs and a couple of drops of ivermectin on his back. I did that on Tuesday. Tomorrow, it will be warm enough to take him out to see if there's any improvement. Good appetite, good strengh in legs and wings, droppings look good. I don't know what else to do.

Almost 3 weeks ago, I found Benny, my RIR Rooster laying in the yard and couldn't stand up. I research and thought it could be Mareks, but that's the only symptom he has. My vet said it could be an ear infection, so I put him on antibiotics. No improvement. Did more research and thought it might be scale mites, so I bathed and blow dried him ( he did not like that and fought me beak and claw) then applied seven, vasaline to his legs and a couple of drops of ivermectin on his back. I did that on Tuesday. Tomorrow, it will be warm enough to take him out to see if there's any improvement. Good appetite, good strengh in legs and wings, droppings look good. I don't know what else to do.

How old is Benny?

You stated that this incident occured about 3 weeks ago. It sounds like you've done everything possible to get him back to normal health. Have you seen any improvement at all? It sure sounds like he's acting normal to me.

The only abnormal behavior is not being able to stand up. When I stand him up, he falls face first on the ground. I've had him in a sling in a tub since I found him. I've put him outside twice since and he just falls over. I'm going to put out again in the morning to see if there's any improvement.

Your vet mentioned ear infection. There's an ear flap covering his ear canal. Wrap him snugly with a towel and lay him on his side. You can lay him under a bright light or have someone hold a flashlight over his ear while you pull back the ear flap and take a look inside the ear canal.
His ear canal should be clear and clean of any gunk or debris. If there's gunk, it's possibly a bacterial ear infection, fungus, or could be ear mites. Dont forget to flip him over and check his other ear canal. Let me know if you see any gunk in his ear. I can refer you to a link on how to treat it.

I'll do that !! Thanks dawg53
1f60a.png

I checked his ears and didn't find anything unusual. I do take some pictures of his feet though.
I don't know how to upload them from my phone.
1f60f.png

He has raised scales and some funky looking thumb toes. Could scales mites cause him to be lame?? He's not paralyzed, he kicks and tries to get up, he just can't.
What do y'all think??

I checked his ears and didn't find anything unusual. I do take some pictures of his feet though.
I don't know how to upload them from my phone.
1f60f.png

He has raised scales and some funky looking thumb toes. Could scales mites cause him to be lame?? He's not paralyzed, he kicks and tries to get up, he just can't.
What do y'all think??

Yes, scaly leg mites can eat right through a leg or foot. Mix some epsom salts in a container of warm water and soak his feet and legs. Once the debris between the scales is loosened, use an old toothbrush and gently and softly scrub between the scales as best as you can. The warm water should be soothing to him and hopefully he wont struggle. After about 30 minutes (or longer if you wish) remove him from the water and dry his feet and legs. Then rub vaseline onto his feet and legs. I have used Nu-Stock before with good results. Continue reapplying vaseline until scales lay flat...it may take several weeks or longer, be patient.

Back
Top Bottom