Help, best duck not acting right.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cheezenkwackers, Feb 12, 2018.

1. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Kwackers is my best duck. She is a Khaki Campbell and will be two next month. She has been laying eggs since she was four months old only missing a few days. Her egg shells were getting thin even though I mix layer feed and game bird breeder and give calcium carbonate free range, so I have been giving her calcium citrate with D. I am pretty sure she has been laying better eggs for the last few days. When I came home yesterday she wasn't acting right though. She was laying down away from the group. feathers puffed, and wouldn't come to me for tomatoes. At bedtime, she got up and walked into the coop with the group and seemed ok. Today, she was laying down away from the group again. She isn't holding her tail right and wobbles when she walks. I might think she is egg bound but I am 95% sure she laid an egg this morning. I felt her abdomen but I didn't feel anything but her bones. Her abdomen does seem sort of swollen to me, though. Any ideas?

2. AmberCamilia

AmberCamilia Songster

Jan 5, 2017
    Jackson County, KY
    Hello! I'm not an expert, and hopefully others will be able to help you more than I can, but it could be something going on with her feet/legs. My duck started acting this way when she got bumblefoot. Another of mine acted like this while suffering from a niacin deficiency. Not sure if that's the case here, but it's a thought :)

Good luck, keep us updated!

3. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks! I looked at the bottoms of her feet and didn’t see anything but I am not sure what I am looking for. I put brewer’s yeast in their food so I hope she is getting enough niacin. I can’t figure it out.

AmberCamilia likes this.
  4. AmberCamilia

AmberCamilia Songster

Jan 5, 2017
    Jackson County, KY
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...roblems-in-waterfowl-niacin-deficiency.68003/

There is a TON of information in the link above on niacin deficiencies. I highly suggest reading through it when you can! I've read that brewer's yeast is a great way to add in more niacin for them, but I've also read that sometimes it falls to the bottom of the food and they don't get as much. I was given a tip to wet their food first and sprinkle it on top or kind-of mix it around a bit.

Bumblefoot usually comes with a black scab on their feet, and/or a big "bump" or boil.

Again, this may not be the case with Kwackers, but it won't hurt to rule them out :p

CayugaJana likes this.
  5. Runnerducks1

Runnerducks1 Chirping

Feb 12, 2018
    Washington
    I don't know about your duck, but I wish you the best of luck, and hope shes okay:hugs

6. AmberCamilia

AmberCamilia Songster

Jan 5, 2017
    Jackson County, KY
    Hey OP,

Did you ever figure out what was going on with Kwackers? I've been thinking about y'all!

7. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks! She is more energetic today but still not normal. I checked her all over again and I can’t find anything. I did think her breathing sounds a little off. I took this video of her today (she is in the back). I thought it showed her moving her tail strangely but later I realized she might be doing that to breath better. I wormed Kwackers (and the others) for what I thought was Gape worm about six months ago. She was the only one with symptoms back then. She isn’t gaping like before but I wonder if she has them still or again? Thoughts?

AmberCamilia likes this.
  8. AmberCamilia

AmberCamilia Songster

Jan 5, 2017
    Jackson County, KY
    I watched the video and I see what you mean, but I'm thinking it does have something to do with her breathing. I wish I knew more so I could help you, but I'm not sure about the worm situation.

@Miss Lydia Care to add your input? You know a whole lot more than me! :p

casportpony likes this.
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Yeah, her breathing does look labored.

Mama Runner and AmberCamilia like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

How does her poop look? @casportpony is our poop expert.

What did you use for wormer?

When did she lay last?

AmberCamilia and casportpony like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: