Help! Best plan for aviary netting?

ironsightfarm

Songster
Apr 4, 2019
New Hampshire
Hi all!

I posted over in the predator forum looking for the best way to protect flock from Coopers Hawks (they frequent our yard). Looks like aviary netting is the 100% agreed upon answer, but my biggest issue is how to place it over our run...

I posted a pic below - when finished run will be approx. 75'x50', there are established trees / shrubs along privacy fence and proposed fence line, the vines over the gazebo grow leaves (plan to put outside feeder / waterer in there), post fence and gate with hardware cloth going along the rest of the perimeter (privacy fence to outer edge of coop). It was suggested to add posts / t-posts to elevate aviary netting but I'm at a loss with the trees / structures providing to be obstacles.

Main concern is keeping flock safe from hawks in area - open to any other suggestions! We're completing coop repairs and fencing, so I figured now was the time to implement any deterrents.

Thank you thank you!

Attachments

• chickenrun.jpg
    chickenrun.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 52
My parents run a blueberry farm, and although they don't mind hawks, song birds really, really, really like the fruit. (They can clean out a field in a few days.) They have a very large area covered, my dad used salvaged irrigation pipes for posts, and runs wire across the posts to help hold up the netting. I would say the posts are no less than 12-15' across from each other, there are even posts inside the netting with wires across the top to hold up the netting.
However, in the fall, he rolls this netting up and clips it up under tarps, as the Minnesota UV rays of winter will shorten the life of the netting.
As for your obstacles, could you use them as posts to help hold up your netting, and just go around or wire it to the tree?
Don't know if that helps, good luck!
Do you have a rooster?? Ours is good for watching the sky, but probably not a full proof solution!

My parents run a blueberry farm, and although they don't mind hawks, song birds really, really, really like the fruit. (They can clean out a field in a few days.) They have a very large area covered, my dad used salvaged irrigation pipes for posts, and runs wire across the posts to help hold up the netting. I would say the posts are no less than 12-15' across from each other, there are even posts inside the netting with wires across the top to hold up the netting.
However, in the fall, he rolls this netting up and clips it up under tarps, as the Minnesota UV rays of winter will shorten the life of the netting.
As for your obstacles, could you use them as posts to help hold up your netting, and just go around or wire it to the tree?
Don't know if that helps, good luck!
Do you have a rooster?? Ours is good for watching the sky, but probably not a full proof solution!
I'd love to get a roo, but they're not allowed in my residential zone :(

Back
Top Bottom