Help! Big bumps growing on hen

FeatheryFriends25

In the Brooder
May 26, 2020
Not sure what these bumps are on her face! They look painful. She did not have this before. Her legs have gotten very scaley as well. I’m scared that this will infect the other hens!! What is this?? And what do I do!!??

Attachments

• E7CA8A57-F176-4168-8A89-20A9D252B340.jpeg
    E7CA8A57-F176-4168-8A89-20A9D252B340.jpeg
    633.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 58B545A5-E216-4FE3-8374-00CA1C4E98C0.jpeg
    58B545A5-E216-4FE3-8374-00CA1C4E98C0.jpeg
    521.5 KB · Views: 25
It looks like blocked nostrils. There could be a combination of feed, secretions, and dirt there. Some might call this nasal canker, but many times it is just a blockage that needs to be cleaned out. Try moistening the face with a few drops of hydrogen peroxide which will foam up a bit on the secretions. You then could use saline or water and take a wooden toothpick and try to gently get a little of the crud out. Be careful not to damage the nostrils, which can hadly be seen now. Repeat this prepocure tommorow and the next day. It is pretty hard to get it all out. It will look a bit like yellow pus or a bumblefoot kernel. Here is a link about this:
https://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/PluggedNare/PluggedNare.html

Welcome, sorry you are going thru this. The scales on the legs could be mites. The nares look like infection of some sort. Sorry I cannot be more help. Hopefully someone who knows more will be along shortly. Is she having trouble breathing?

It looks like blocked nostrils. There could be a combination of feed, secretions, and dirt there. Some might call this nasal canker, but many times it is just a blockage that needs to be cleaned out. Try moistening the face with a few drops of hydrogen peroxide which will foam up a bit on the secretions. You then could use saline or water and take a wooden toothpick and try to gently get a little of the crud out. Be careful not to damage the nostrils, which can hadly be seen now. Repeat this prepocure tommorow and the next day. It is pretty hard to get it all out. It will look a bit like yellow pus or a bumblefoot kernel. Here is a link about this:
https://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/PluggedNare/PluggedNare.html

I did what you said and she’s back to normal!!! Thank you so much!!!

Welcome to BYC.
How long has she looked like this?

Was she sneezing before?
Have you brought any new birds home recently... Within the last few months?

Back
Top Bottom