HELP! Bird acts like it can't stand up!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AutumnDreamer, Apr 27, 2011.

1. AutumnDreamer

AutumnDreamer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    One of our leghorns, that are 10 days old and fine up to this point, is acting like it can't stand up. When I open the brooder, it jumps up and moves around but when it lays done it falls to it's side and can't lay down upright, any ideas???

2. AutumnDreamer

Apr 17, 2011
    no one has any thoughts on this????

3. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Repost in emergencies.
    It can stand up when you open the brooder but can't sit upright?
    What are you feeding? What kind of litter? What temp. in brooder? Is it eating, drinking & pooping normally? Does it's legs look like the rest of the chicks legs?

4. 5starchicken

5starchicken New Egg

Apr 16, 2011
    maybe there are bones that did not form correctly in the shell. i have a chick 3 weeks old whom was born with no knee or hip joint, just on straight bone stickin out towards the back. she gets around fine and is eating and drinking and healthy:) Goodluck

5. AutumnDreamer

Apr 17, 2011
    We have come to the conclusion the chick was possibly being lazy. It seems to walk around fine, it also gets up on the roost fine, and even flys fine (or tries to anyway, there is a top on the brooder) and now another one was doing it, I think maybe it could be dust bathing? They seem to roll around in the pine shavings, and then lay on their side for a while.

6. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    I have one chick that lays on its side every now and then. I didn't figure it was an issue. Is yours doing it all the time or just sometimes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by