Help.....birds on the loose!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Abbacus, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Abbacus

Abbacus New Egg

Jun 17, 2008
    Help!!! I recently put 21 leghorns in there coop outside in the brooder box still. I was in the process of making a coop and run, and now they are on the loose. Can anyone give some advice. Thanks.
    Dave

2. Bird Hearder

Bird Hearder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
    Can't you catch them?
    Hand feeding and a lot of handling would have helped so they don't run from ya

3. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    put a trail of bread or their fav. foood leading to wherever you want them ,hate to say it but it works! [​IMG]

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Leghorns are naturally flighty birds. It doesn't have anything to do with holding them or not. We own just one and that's enough! When she gets loose, it's an all out chase to catch her and my son spends several hours a day holding her.

I would try to put the feeder out to where they can come to it. Catch them once they get interested in the food. We usually scoop ours up in twos or threes. If that doesn't work try leaving the coop/run door open. They will naturally want to return to the coop once it gets to be dusk. Then if that doesn't work ( [​IMG] ) wait until dark and you will find them huddled all together and then it is really easy to catch them. They don't usually want to run around when it gets to be their bedtime. We've had to do this before! Hang in there and report back once you get them all locked up nice and tight for the night. [​IMG]

WELCOME TO BYC, by the way! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  5. Abbacus

Abbacus New Egg

Jun 17, 2008
    I just went back out after all the commotion has calmed down and got 12 in the coop secure, I am hoping the rest find their way to the door soon. I am new to this whole chicken farmer thing and this forum has been a great deal of help so far. I would have to say that I should have looked here before I got these leghorns because they are very very skittish. I will post back in a bit.

6. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    Oats from the cupboard work really well when you need to "bribe" your chickens! Mine practically knock me down when they see me coming with oats.

7. Abbacus

Abbacus New Egg

Jun 17, 2008
    Well everyone was right, once it gets a little dark things start calming down. All of the birds made it back in safe and sound just in time. Now they are all cuddled together in the corner. Thanks everyone.

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That wonderful news! I'm happy to hear that everyone is locked up tight, safe and sound. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by