HELP :-) Black Breasted Red OEGB or Welsummer? Or something else...

1quest

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 17, 2014
We got this baby and she was in a bin that said silkies and bantam.

It looked like she had a broken wing... and they were going to remove her to the back. I am assuming the end of her happy little life. This is my 1st chichicken I wasn't leaving the store with out her to ensure her safety.

We are 2 weeks old now (plus 1 day when pictures were taken)... Still trying to figure out what he is for sure. Any ideas? Black Breasted Red OEGB or Welsummer? Or something else... Is it a she or a HE?

My first guess is not Black Breasted OEGB as I think that looks like a full size chick??? Hard to tell with photo....and I don't think Welsummer, not quite right in the coloring....but possible....more likely Speckled Sussex as pink legs...Welsummers should have yellow legs, and usually have a bit different of coloring, but some feed store qualities don't have proper color.

Sex is hard to tell at this age as SS and OEGB are not sexed...although it doesn't look like it is coming in with OEGB male colors...but too early.

Sorry...not help really am I.

I would watch to make sure its crop is emptying properly and isn't always that protruded...it might have just loaded up on the chow, but that is a really prominent crop.

Lady of McCamley

His legs are very yellow not pink. His crop does empty I think he may have just pigged out. But it says that I'm not supposed to limit his food or water and he should be able to eat and drink whatever he wants?

His legs are very yellow not pink. His crop does empty I think he may have just pigged out. But it says that I'm not supposed to limit his food or water and he should be able to eat and drink whatever he wants?
Yes, chicks should have free access to food and water. As long as the crop empties, he/she just loaded up. Be sure it isn't feed that can over swell.

Photo color shows pink...but if very yellow...then likely not Speckled Sussex...but hatchery quality varies in color.

Lady of McCamley

My daughter had pink on her shirt and may have reflected this to the feet in the picture. His crop does empty but l have seen him picking at the shaving chips (bedding). Now I am going to worry. We were just saying tonight that he has doubled in circumfrance since we got him.... not meaning his crop but his body.

babies grow remarkably fast, almost in front of your eyes. i would limit the wood chips though. after they are eating good on their own it doesnt matter but sometimes the new ones will eat too much shavings if his crop is emptying then there is no worries.

His crop is completely empty this morning. He's just a little piggy :)

Back
Top Bottom