Help! Black productions and cuckoo marans look the SAME!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dolly85, Oct 20, 2011.

1. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    I ordered 31 chicks in the mail who arrived this morning. They included the 5 black production chicks (aka california grays), 5 cuckoo marans, 6 welsummers, 5 anconas, 5 EE's, and 5 langshans. Since there are so many the kids and I want to pick one of each breed to mark and tame as a pet. The only problem is I can't tell the marans and productions apart!!! They have nearly identical leg coloring, single combs, and the same body colors. I think some may have slightly smaller spots with tighter fluff, but its so hard to tell! Are the marans usually slightly larger and fluffier? With slightly more white on the head? HELP PLEASE!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the whole crew! They made such a mess of their brooder so quickly. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Not an expert but I seem to remember the spots on my cuckoo chicks heads being VERY yellow. Does that help at all?

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    can't help with the genders...but for the feed...try adding some water to it, and raising it off the ground on a block of wood or an overturned bowl...also, you may want to get some shavings in the brooder soon...you will be dealing with spraddle legs if you don't...or an old washcloth, just so their little feet don't slide around.

try posting again in a few weeks, then maybe we can help more.

4. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Marans should have leg feathering.

5. dolly85

Jun 1, 2010
    Jodyjo- They are all pullets so I don't need help on sexing! I've raised hundreds of baby chicks and I ALWAYS start them out on paper towel. I've never had a chick with spraddle legs thank you. The feed is purposely spread on the paper towel to start them and I don't put the water up on a block until they are 1 week old. I like to make sure everything is available to them at all times. There are shavings underneath the paper towel but I don't want them to mistake their food for shavings. My question was if someone could tell the difference between the production chicks and the marans, not whether or not you approved of my brooder!

Zonoma- Thanks, some are a bit more yellow then the others!

6. dolly85

Jun 1, 2010
    Keara- It is my understanding that most of the lines in the US have clean legs. The French lines, such as the French Copper Marans will have feathered legs but mine clearly do not. My Langshans are the only breed in the bunch I ordered who have lightly feathered legs.

ETA Here is a link. Many of the lines, especially the cuckoo marans, are clean legged. I don't care if they are up to breed standard, I just want them for their dark colored eggs! http://marans.org/index_files/sop.html

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  7. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:sorry Dolly....take a deep breath...just offering advice...didn't mean to offend.......................................................................

8. dolly85

Jun 1, 2010
    Wasn't offended.... much..... LOL More just set in my ways I suppose! My theory is, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

9. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:sounds good to me also...sorry I can't help with "breeds" (been up since 2 am, I work at 4am, so didn't focus on that part of your question)
    I am sure someone with knowledge of those 2 breeds will help you more....good luck....!

** again, sorry, you never know what people do with these babies...I have seen some horrific set ups...and I find it hard to keep mouth shut at times...

10. dolly85

Jun 1, 2010
    you never know what people do with these babies...I have seen some horrific set ups...and I find it hard to keep mouth shut at times...

LOL Thanks and totally agree! Um, and I normally don't let chickens walk on my floor..... I hope people don't get the wrong impression and think I'm a poor housekeeper! It is just too cold to get pictures outside and I wanted to seperate them from the rest of the group.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by