Help! Black Spots On Chickens Combs!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fratmor, Jan 14, 2011.

1. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    HI everyone, I noticed some of my girls have small black spots on there combs today . I didn't notice them yesterday. could they be getting frost bite it is in the teens here and I'm sure even less with the wind chill. I'm not having a good chicken week .I've done some research and came up with fowl pox or frostbite .If it is pox what do you do and are any eggs layed ok to eat. They just started to lay about 10 days ago.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  2. fratmor

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    anyone out there................

3. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    They'll get those spots where they've pecked each other. If I understand correctly, frostbite is whitish or yellowish.

4. dento

dento Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    frost bite will normaly be only on the tips or the combs but it will be black. it will eventually fall off.

5. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I have had a few girls with small black spots of likely frost bite. Especially those with prominent combs. The black spots will fall off when dead and dried. The other chickens will sometimes pick at it too. You may see small spots of blood where it has been picked at or fallen off. You can use vaseline on the combs. It is supposed to help. They are not always very tolerant of you doing this though [​IMG]

6. fratmor

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    IF it is chicken pox what do you do for it and can you eat the eggs

7. fratmor

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    does anyone know about pox or frost bite?

8. EggNoob

EggNoob Out Of The Brooder

wait till the chickens roost.. much easier to put the vasaline on the combs. Also as I have read and tried myself.. increasing the ventilation in the coop cuts down on the frostbite. Humidity= Frostbitten combs

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Fowl pox is mainly transmitted by mosquitos, it's too cold for mosquitos where you live.

10. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Is anyone else thinking of stickfast lice? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by