help -- bleeding umbilicus

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by foxflower, May 23, 2010.

1. foxflower

foxflower Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Surprise Valley, CA
    The umbilicus on 1 chick continues to bleed after it self hatched a few hours ago. I'm now through day 22 and 4 chicks have hatched. I read I could use corn starch to stop the bleeding, but do I open the bator? Not all the pips from today have hatched yet. It isn't bleeding profusely but still looks like a spot is bleeding a bit. Chick is still moving around and blood is everywhere. So, should I risk the rest of the hatch and try to stop all the bleeding or maybe risk the 1? Advice please? -- I'm in a dilemna!

2. Chief

Chief Songster

Oct 17, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    If the bleeding is steady and does not seem like its will stop before the chick bleeds out, I would take action. I have opened the incubator for the same reason. Just open it quickly remove the chick and close it back up. The others will be fine.
    Corn starch may work if its not too much blood flow.
    I had a chick hatch on its own this spring that actually hadn't absorbed the yolk completely. It was dragging the yolk sack by the umbilical cord and bleeding like crazy. I took it out of the bator and used dental floss to tie off the umbilical cord, them scissors to cut the rest off. It worked like a charm!
    Use your best judgment, but I have a hard time watching one die slowly, just to give the others a chance.

3. foxflower

foxflower Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Surprise Valley, CA
    It seems to have clotted by itself. (wiping sweat away here) If it starts bleeding again I'll open up and help it. It looked really bad when it first hatched, so I didn't think it would make it with a prolapsed-looking umbilicus like that. After it rest, the injury improved and the chick appeared to get stronger, not weaker, so I waited. It was hard though, and then when it still seemed to be bleeding I got worried. Thank you for your response. Next time it happens (or if this one breaks open the clot) I'll know what to do. The corn starch is on standby. I think I need to develop a chick 1st aid kit by the time I hatch again. This hatching thing is such a learning experience. Thank you again for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by