1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help - Bleeding Vent because of pecking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jbeck013, Jan 4, 2013.

1. jbeck013

jbeck013 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I have 4 hens. On Monday we discovered 2 of them were bleeding on their back side. Having just become a chicken owner, I had no idea what this was. My wife saw one of the hens pecking at the two, so we assumed that's what is was. When we researched it and learned about prolapse, it made more sense.

So I go out and try to clean the 2 up as best I could. I did not see anything sticking out for me to push back in. One was fairly OK and then other one wasn't. Feathers missing around her vent and it just shows it clearly. I put them both in our shed for a couple days, separate from the other 2. I'd let them out for maybe an hour each day, but otherwise they were in a dark environment most of the time.

It's now been 4 days. They still don't look good back there. 2 of the days there were in confinement I got an egg.

So this afternoon I let all 4 roam the yard a little bit. The bully of the group tried to peck at the other 2 again. The one girl, Fabio who is my favorite, couldn't care less about them and just went about her business.

So tonight, I put Fabio and the 2 others experiencing problems in the hen house and put the bully in the shed.

I am at a loss of what to do with the 2 having problems. Is there anything else I can do?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do a search for 'Pinless Peepers". The one doing the pecking may need to be fitted with them. Hopefully they will be fine with Fabio. For now I would keep them away from the bully. Such pecking can escalate to the point that the picked upon bird dies.

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop

X2

4. jbeck013

jbeck013 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Just thought I would give an update on my girls. The 2 that were bleeding, LaFonzo and Bevis, are doing great right now. They seem all healed up, feathers are back and I'm getting 4 eggs a day again.

The bully, I ended up putting her in "time out" for 5 days in our shed. It was funny to watch her. Everyday I would let her out around 9am or so to get some fresh air. As soon as I opened the door to the shed, she would make a B-Line right to the coop and into the nesting area to lay an egg. I'd let her scrap around for an hour or so, then put her back in the shed. I think she got the message as she now leaves them alone and everyone is getting along.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by