HElP!! Blind Pullet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joelharris, Feb 12, 2014.

1. joelharris

joelharris Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Light Sussex pullet in a coop with another 25 pullets and 4 cockerels, they are currently inside due to the torrential rains and the fact that their new hopefully fox proof run is under construction.
    On Saturday I noticed one of the light Sussex pullet's eyes looked weird, and today I saw it was completely closed while the other was open she is acting normal, no other symptoms just slightly less active. She has a slight scab on her comb but I don't think her eye has been pecked, and when I picked her up this morning she opened her eye as best as she could but it looked strange, dull and not central.
    Thanks for any help/feedback [​IMG]
    I will try and get photos tomorrow.

2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Picture would be helpful.

3. joelharris

Yes I know sorry. I will get some in the morning it's currently 20:20 here in the UK and pitch black outside :(

4. joelharris

[​IMG]
    This is an image of her eye, sorry the Picasso bad, she wouldn't keep her head still, she was opening her eye a little more often this morning but it still looks gammy and wet inside. I sniffed it and don't think I could smell rotting, any idea on the cause?
    Also one of the 4 roosters was a fairly aggressive cuckoo maran, not to me, but with the way and amount of times he mounted the hens sometimes causing bleeding on their necks. So although it wasn't a nice thing to do I disposed of him in a humane way.

5. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Try a wet warm compress, hold it on the eye for a bit. Put an antibiotic eye drops on her eye.

She could have a respirtory diseae or possibly pecked.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  6. joelharris

Ok thanks :)

7. joelharris

Just an update on the pullet, I washed her eye with a cotton bud and water then stererlised it with some eye wash, when she tried to open her eye I could not see anything there, just got to keep out infection now till it heals, she is eating drinking perching and walking normally though :)

8. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Thats good to hear.

9. BellChell123

BellChell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    How's your pullet?

10. joelharris

Thanks for asking she's getting better and has her eye nearly fully open all the time although her eye is a bit wonky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by