help! blood all over food and water dishes!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bryntee, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Bryntee

Bryntee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    When I got home today I went out to the garage to fill the water and food dishes for my 3 chickens. I noticed blood all over them. I examined my girls and one had dried blood all over her comb. I don't see any cuts or anything that stands out. I looked around the garage and didn't see anything either but I'm sure there's things she could have cut herself on. I thought maybe it just got really cold last night but I'm still not sure. The reason they are in the garage is because the coop they were in isn't suitable for winter and the garage is WAY warmer. We are in the process of moving so their new winter coop is at the new house. Any ideas?

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    There is/was probably a cut on her comb,check to see if comb has separated a bit from head(check front and back of comb). Any head wound even the slightest bleeds profusely,lots of blood vessels.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I expect that one of your chickens' comb was injured. Either that, or one of them broke their toenail. Both of those occurences tend to lead to lots of bleeding. As long as you don't see any still bleeding wounds, they should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by