Help! Blood in chickens poop!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HappyClucker7, Aug 27, 2016.

1. HappyClucker7

HappyClucker7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2016
    I was cleaning out the coop yesterday, when I saw some poop with blood in it. I cleaned it all up and went on the internet and found out that it was ok. This morning, I found two different poos. One had intestinal lining in it which is normal. Then, I looked inside the coop. That's where I found about three or four poops with blood. I cleand that up and called the vet. I'm still waiting for a call back.

Does anyone know what this could be? I don't think that it is cocci, but I'm going to get the poop tested.

I really don't want my girls to get sick!

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Chickens do have darkened stools that appear to be blood. They can have black tarry stool, too. Bright red stools is definitely something to get concerned about and a call to your vet was the right thing to do. In fact, doing the occasional fecal test is a good idea in keeping the back yard flock healthy.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope your vet gets back to you results and treatment plan

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How old are the birds?

where are you located? What is your weather like?

If you're warm and damp, go ahead and dose everyone with Corid. It's about the safest thing there is to give your birds.

5. HappyClucker7

Apr 28, 2016
    They are about six months old. I live in New York, and the weather is hot and humid.

Can I give them Corid even though I don't know if they have cocci?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I would. It's not going to hurt anything and it can save them easy peasy.

7. HappyClucker7

Apr 28, 2016
    Ok, so I e-mailed a friend of mine who has chickens, and she said that the blood could just be caused by egg laying. It makes sens because they did just start laying. There has also been much less blood in their poop. Still a little but not much. I will post more if any thing changes. Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by